Rules of the Internet/Social Networking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

1.     Please ladies, no song lyrics as status updates. I love you all very much, but I can promise you no one on facebook really cares about the reason for the teardrops on your guitar…if you catch my drift.
2.     Selfies as a prof pic. The arm and the flash on the mirror are a dead give away….you aren’t fooling me.
3.     No, I really don’t need to hear you aced your multi-variable calc exam that everyone else failed. Everyone who reads that wants to gag, I promise.
4.     I’m really happy that you found love, but the internet is not the place to broadcast that. I’m sure your baby cakezzz would be a lot happier if you gave them real smoochies instead of cyber ones. Just sayin’.

5.     I know you had a bad day. But instead of broadcasting the most intimate details of your life you should try calling a friend. They’re probably more equipped to deal with your most recent heartbreak than someone you once met at a concert.
6.     Comments about your religious beliefs. Especially ones that are disrespectful to those who do not share the same beliefs as you. If you’re gonna hate, please keep it to yourself and don’t share it with your 2,000 facebook friends. 

Emily Bliss is a sophomore at Colgate University, where her academic interests include Political Science, Economics, and Chinese. She hopes to attend business school upon her graduation. In addition to being a tour guide and admissions office volunteer, she competes with the Alpine Ski Racing Team and the Rugby Club. Emily calls Cambridge, Massachusetts home, as it is where she was born and raised, though she loves living in Hamilton, New York when school is in session. Her favorite activities include spending time in and around Boston, watching Gossip Girl, traveling, and cooking!