Quintessential Fall Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

There are some things that are really only appropriate to do, or are only possible to do, in the fall. So take advantage of this gorgeous season before it’s gone! Here are some suggestions for how to get the most out of this fall:

1. Pumpkin Picking – What says fall more than pumpkins?  Pumpkin picking is a great way to enjoy the crisp autumn air  and get a bit of exercise (who said lifting was only for the  gym?) It’s also simply a great way to unwind and de-stress  with friends. And the fun doesn’t stop there! When you’re done  picking, there are tons of things you can do with your  pumpkins including carving them for Halloween or using  them to make scrumptious pumpkin treats like pies and  muffins. Don’t save this activity for when you’re home; there  are many places near Colgate that offer prime pumpkin
picking! Check out Critz Farms in Cazenovia (www.critzfarms.com) or Wratten’s Orchard at Orchard Hill Apple Farm in Leonardsville!

2. Drinking Apple Cider – Apples, like pumpkins, are staple fall foods. Apples are nutritious snacks to munch on all year ‘round, but for something extra special in the fall, why not treat yourself to a cup of steaming hot apple cider? Cider is the perfect mixture of apple, cinnamon, and allspice that is guaranteed to keep you warm on a brisk fall day.

3. Raking Leaves (…and then trampling through them) – Ok, let’s admit it: raking leaves isn’t exactly something that everybody is dying to do, but…. I have yet to meet a single person who does not thoroughly enjoy romping through giant piles of crunchy, colorful leaves. Bring out your inner child and play in leaf piles to your heart’s content – you
can only do this once a year, after all!

4. Wearing Plaid – Pull out the flannels everyone! Yep, it’s that time of year. A cozy flannel is the ideal clothing item for fall because it keeps you warm, and it’s cute! Pair your flannel with warm leggings or your favorite pair of worn-in jeans.

5. Enjoying Seasonal Soups
– Soups  are a great food to eat in the fall,  particularly on those days that are chilly  and rainy. Some soups unique to fall are:  pumpkin soup, butternut squash soup,  sweet potato bisque, tomato bisque, and  potato leek soup. Dig in! 

Emily Bliss is a sophomore at Colgate University, where her academic interests include Political Science, Economics, and Chinese. She hopes to attend business school upon her graduation. In addition to being a tour guide and admissions office volunteer, she competes with the Alpine Ski Racing Team and the Rugby Club. Emily calls Cambridge, Massachusetts home, as it is where she was born and raised, though she loves living in Hamilton, New York when school is in session. Her favorite activities include spending time in and around Boston, watching Gossip Girl, traveling, and cooking!