Late Night Cravings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Nothing is worse than waking up the morning after wondering “what the f*** did I eat last night?”  You feel groggy, hung-over, and greasy.  Why greasy?  Because of all the sh*t you ate last night.  Unfortunately, this is a feeling that Colgate students are all too familiar with.  With late night options like Slices, Utica Street Café, and frat or townhouse kitchens, who can resist that tasty treat?

SLICES: Late night at slices is a feeding frenzy.  It’s a great pit stop to keep warm and feast while waiting for the cruiser.  When you walk in, LouAnn is taking orders left and right, always calm, cool, and collected.  On the other hand, drunk students are pushing to the front, fighting for the last few slices before the hallowed establishment closes for the night.  There’s always that one freshman girl hoarding her slices, eating alone on the pinball machine.  I am proud, but slightly horrified, to say I was that girl.  However, I highly recommend taking a slice to go.  There is no better feeling than ending your night with a delicious slice on the cruiser.

UTICA STREET:  Utica Street is not as bustling as Slices, but has many more options.  While their service is slow and their chef may or may not be one of the sketchiest townies, the Mac Bites are worth it.  Some people go for a bacon egg and cheese, hash browns, or even dumplings.  Those people are amateurs.  Mac Bites may be the only late night food better than slices.  Crispy fried outer shell with creamy mac and cheese on the inside?  Sheer perfection.

FRATS:  I don’t know about you, but I feel sorry for the poor boys that let girls in.  At Phi Tau, we steal some (most) of their hot pockets, mac n’ cheese, and pizzas.  At Beta and Sigma, it’s all about the deep fryers.  Turn that grease on, throw in some mozzarella sticks or curly fries, and wait until they are golden brown perfection.  Nothing is more satisfying than cooking your own late night food.  It makes it almost acceptable to eat a smorgasbord of fatty, greasy foods if you cooked them yourself.  While I am not familiar with other frat kitchens, I’m sure they have plenty to offer.

TOWNHOUSES:  I currently live in townhouse 2B, home to many late night chefs.  Our downfall seems to be bacon.  We LOVE late night bacon.  We try to cook it in the microwave, or on the stove in a pot.  Unfortunately for our neighbors, that greasy late night stack ALWAYS results in the fire alarm going off.  How are we supposed to remember to turn the fan on?  It’s 3 AM, we just want some bacon.

Any place you choose to frequent past 2 AM, you will be tempted with late night food.  Which tasty option will you choose?

Caroline Tocci is a Colgate '13 post-grad living in NYC. Besides working as an editorial assistant at Scholastic, she enjoys running, traveling, sailing, cooking, cheering for the Patriots, reading, and writing, of course. You can check out her blog Caroline's Cucina at http://www.carolinescucina.tumblr.com or follow her on Twitter, @carolinetocci.