Life > Experiences

I Took Colgate’s “Yes Means Yes” Course—And You Should Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

In need of a PE credit and encouraged by my Her Campus chapter leaders, I signed up for Colgate’s Yes Means Yes course this semester. The seven week course is taught by two student facilitators and focuses on positive sexuality. The course was actually inspired by a senior thesis proposing the idea of Colgate students meeting together to discuss Jessica Valenti’s book, “Yes Means Yes”. 

I wasn’t sure what to expect stepping into the Women’s Studies center that first Wednesday evening. However, our two facilitators put the group at ease immediately, having us introduce ourselves by our name, pronoun(s), and an answer to a pop culture question. This beginning ritual continued throughout the course. Questions ranged from opinions on whether Trisha Paytas is a good mother to our childhood crushes. After some initial icebreakers, we delved into information and group discussions on our topic for the session as well as small group conversations. Topics included asexuality, identity, and the virginity myth. All of my fellow group members engaged thoughtfully in these discussions. We were able to bring our myriad of different gender identities, sexual identities and preferences, and life experiences to the table to diversify the conversation. I was surprised by how comfortable I became sharing my opinions on these taboo topics with a group of initial strangers. I felt my opinions were heard and respected. Additionally, I enjoyed listening to my fellow group members. Everyone gave such thoughtful, eloquent responses to questions and conversation starters from the facilitators. I truly learned so much from my peers throughout this course. Furthermore, I was able to learn more about myself. In branching out of my comfort zone and sharing my opinions on topics we tend to shy away from, I was able to learn more about my own sexuality and sexual expression. Sexuality is so critical to our growth and development, and I am grateful to have had this safe space to learn and explore. 

Ultimately, what makes Yes Means Yes so impactful was the people. The experience would have been drastically different if people were uninterested, checked out, and clearly only there to get their PE Credit. Luckily, all of my peers were engaged, supportive, and kind. The facilitators were amazing and created a safe and welcoming environment. Through this experience, I gained not only more knowledge on positive sexuality but also so many friendly faces I look forward to seeing around campus.

Yes Means Yes is an incredible program and I could not recommend it highly enough! The program is so meaningful and can touch all Colgate students in a multitude of ways. It is a worthwhile experience regardless of whether or not you need PE credit. More information on the course and how to sign up can be found on its instagram page, @colgate_yes_means_yes.

Amanda Krowitz is a current sophomore at Colgate University, concentrating in English. Her hobbies include writing for Colgate's student newspaper, reading, and waterskiing.