How To..Throw a Superbowl Party on a Collegiette’s Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Whether you’re a football fanatic, bandwagon fan, or someone who doesn’t even know the significance of a first down, it’s safe to say you’re going to watch the Superbowl Sunday night..or you’re going to at least pretend to watch the game at a Superbowl party.  Since many Colgate students are from New York, Connecticut, or Massachusetts there will be plenty of heated Giants and Patriots fans around campus tuned into the game and cheering on their home teams.  Being a Patriots fan myself, I am very excited to see Tom Brady and the Patriots put the Giant’s lucky 2008 victory to shame with a huge win this Sunday in Superbowl XLVI .  That being said, the Superbowl is the perfect time to host a party.  As long as you have a TV, food, drinks, and friends to watch the game with it should be a fun night.  While hosting a superbowl party can get expensive, try the following tips to keep it within your college budget:

1. Utilize your surroundings..Head to Family Dollar and/or Dollar General for plates, cups, napkins, and eating utensils- you’ll save a lot more money that way than buying all your supplies at Price Chopper.  If you want to get more creative and have a few dollars to spend, check out Party City in New Hartford for football platters, coolers, and balloons.   Having a few, nice decorations will definitely get everyone excited for the game. 

2. Cook instead of ordering out..it’s cheaper!  Okay, so maybe you’ve never made anything more than a grilled cheese and it’d be SO easy just to order wings from Nichols, but the website Small Kitchen College makes cooking easy even for the novice. The recipes on Small Kitchen College are designed specifically for college cooks (ie. those who don’t really know how to cook/don’t have the space) and provide delicious recipes.   In particular, guacamole, potato skins, fajitas, and chicken wings are perfect football game foods that everyone will love.  

3. BYOB. So if you’re providing appetizers and snacks for the game, why not ask everyone you invite to bring their own beverages?  This way there will be plenty of variety for everyone and you won’t have to put a big dent in your wallet.  Check out this site for tasty drink recipes. 

Caroline Tocci is a Colgate '13 post-grad living in NYC. Besides working as an editorial assistant at Scholastic, she enjoys running, traveling, sailing, cooking, cheering for the Patriots, reading, and writing, of course. You can check out her blog Caroline's Cucina at http://www.carolinescucina.tumblr.com or follow her on Twitter, @carolinetocci. 
Emily Bliss is a sophomore at Colgate University, where her academic interests include Political Science, Economics, and Chinese. She hopes to attend business school upon her graduation. In addition to being a tour guide and admissions office volunteer, she competes with the Alpine Ski Racing Team and the Rugby Club. Emily calls Cambridge, Massachusetts home, as it is where she was born and raised, though she loves living in Hamilton, New York when school is in session. Her favorite activities include spending time in and around Boston, watching Gossip Girl, traveling, and cooking!