Wellness

How to make your early morning routine smoother

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

So you have an 8:30am class on your schedule. While some people like being up early, most of us dread the early classes. It can be tough to find time to get ready, eat something, and look cute, all while savoring every last bit of sleep, but I’ve gathered some tips to make the morning process smoother:

Pick out your outfit the night before

While this may seem like it won’t save you a lot of time, laying out what you’re going to wear the night before can help reduce some stress during your already rushed morning. You can take as much time as needed to mix and match all of your options the night before, and use the time you would’ve been rummaging through your drawers to get a few more minutes of shut-eye. It may feel like an unnecessary task the first few times, but once you make it a habit you won’t go back!

Set two alarms

It can be hard to find motivation to leave the warmth and comfort of your bed after hearing the jarring sound of your alarm, but this trick energizes me even when it’s early! Choose the time that you want to get up and set two alarms: one for that time and one for five minutes before. This way, you’ll wake up to your first alarm and have five minutes to scroll on your phone or lay in bed. By the time the second alarm sounds, you’ll be awake enough to get going at your scheduled wake-up time!

Eat breakfast on the go

If you have time to eat a good breakfast after your class, a protein bar is a convenient mini breakfast for when you’re running out the door! I recommend the Clif Bars because they contain a good amount of protein to get me through my class; some of the flavors even include caffeine for an extra boost of alertness. If you have back-to-back classes, grab some yogurt and granola or a breakfast sandwich from the Coop for a more filling meal. Fueling your body is extremely important!

Listen to your favorite music

Whether you’re getting ready or walking on the quad to class, listening to music in the morning is a great way to energize yourself. I recommend making a playlist of songs that are both mellow and upbeat so that you can associate the mornings with feeling positive and relaxed!

Hopefully you can incorporate some of these tips into your morning to make waking up for your 8:30am class more bearable!

Felicia is a second year student and the Vice President of Her Campus at Colgate University. She is majoring in psychology and minoring in economics. In her free time, Felicia loves to sing, workout and do her campus radio show.