How to Stay Healthy (or at least avoid the Colgate plague)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

1.)  Wash your hands – I cannot emphasize this enough. Washing your hands is one of the BEST ways to get rid of germs that you carry around all day.  Think about it, we touch everything: doors, chairs, tables. There are germs on everything and the best way to get rid of these germs is to wash your hands as often as                                                                                    you can.
2.)   Use hand sanitizer – Even though there is nothing better than washing your hands, the next best thing is touse hand sanitizer.  It’s a great alternative and is pretty easy to find. Hand sanitizer is sold everywhere and is even available for free in places like the health center.  They even come in cool, convenient small bottles that you can clip onto your backpack.

3.)  Drink plenty of water – Try to keep a water bottle on you at all times and drink it throughout the day.  Staying hydrated is key to staying healthy.  For those of you who absolutely despise water (for whatever reason), you can always add fun enhancers like Mio that also happens to be calorie-free! http://www.kraftbrands.com/mio/

4.)  Get plenty of sleep – Let’s face it. Most of us probably only get like 5 or 6 hours of sleep a night because of all the work we have. But a full nights rest is absolutely necessary for staying healthy.  Try to get at least 7 or 8 hours of rest at night so you can be energized and ready during the day.

5.)  Eat a well-balanced diet – We all love frozen yogurt but incorporating more fruits and vegetables in your diet keeps you healthy and energized unlike sugary, fatty foods which slow you down.  The better your diet, the stronger your immune system will be, which means you’ll be less likely to get sick.

6.)  Get exercise – Making sure your body is in good shape helps to maintain a healthy immune system.  Even if you don’t have time to go to the gym everyday, at                                                                                 least try to walk everywhere and take the                                                                            stairs.  You’ll be grateful you did in the                                                                                 future.

7.)  Keep your room clean – Leaving dirty clothes and leftover food all over your room makes it a breeding ground for bugs.  Germs manifest in dirty places, so keeping your room clean will help you avoid illness.  

8.)  Get vaccinated – Most people get the required vaccinations they need before coming to school but one vaccination that will help you stay healthy this winter is the flu shot.  The influenza virus spreads like wildfire during the winter so be sure to get this vaccination, as soon as possible. 

Emily Bliss is a sophomore at Colgate University, where her academic interests include Political Science, Economics, and Chinese. She hopes to attend business school upon her graduation. In addition to being a tour guide and admissions office volunteer, she competes with the Alpine Ski Racing Team and the Rugby Club. Emily calls Cambridge, Massachusetts home, as it is where she was born and raised, though she loves living in Hamilton, New York when school is in session. Her favorite activities include spending time in and around Boston, watching Gossip Girl, traveling, and cooking!