Experimental Theater Company: Colgate’s SNL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

“Like SNL, but hotter and more powerful” – Amy Balmouth ’17, E.T.C. member

Most Colgate students probably don’t know about this hidden gem of a student organization, The Experimental Theater Company, better known as E.T.C. by its members and their consistent fans. This small, 14-member group is an underground club not recognized by the university, however its members meet twice a week to write their own original sketch comedy. The fall show, “Chicken Parm in My Area” consisted of monologues intermixed with SNL-style skits throughout, each skit relating to different monologues. The spring show will be slightly different, as it is tradition to do what they call a “30-60 show.” This show has no central theme and consists of 30 comedic skits performed in 60 minutes or under. With this performance, a clothesline of the numbers 1-30 is hung on stage and audience members shout out a number correlated to a particular skit listed in the playbill. In doing so, the actors have no clue which skit will come next, or whether they will be up on stage next. This lively, adrenaline-fueled audience interaction sets an exciting environment for the performers, as well as the attendees. Their goal is a race to beat the buzzer—and of course to generate as many laughs along the way.

In speaking with Co-President Quincy Pierce ’16 about what E.T.C. means to her, she replies, “E.T.C. is my creative home at Colgate. We’re a team of hilarious people who care about one another and allow each other to say and do all the weird and funny things that other people might not ‘get.’ I’m extremely proud of every year I’ve been in ETC because we’ve always produced hilarious and organic material, and we kill it on stage. Basically I’m in love with ETC.” For every member, ETC is about inclusion, diversity, creativity and the chance to put yourself and your ideas on the edge and let everything unfold organically. After January auditions, new member Brett Goldberg ’17 explains how ETC “is a great way to unleash a side people don’t normally see.” Not knowing what to expect for his first semester in the club, Brett hopes to “come up with more twisted ways of looking at everyday situations. Once the semester is through, it will seem normal, which will be great. Also, I’m very fortunate to be a part of something with this group of people.”

If you have yet to attend a show, come out to see this hilarious group live in action in their performance the weekend before finals. What makes E.T.C. special according to Pierce ’16 is “The people in it. We have amazing writers and talented actors and weird thinkers. At our prime we create a judgment-free space where all of those talents can commingle and create a truly hilarious show. So basically we’re funny AND nice. The full package. Oh, and also we are sexy. We are Colgate’s #1 sexiest unrecognized club on campus.” Sounds convincing enough to me! We look forward to seeing what creative material you have in store for us, E.T.C.!