BaRack Little ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Full Name: BaRack Little

Hometown: Atlanta, GA

Class Year: 2012

Major: Psychology

What he does on campus:
My main activities on campus (outside of schoolwork, of course!) are playing football, writing/making music, and just hanging out with my housemates, usually playing some type of videogame. Also, I am apart of a Bible study group on campus that meets at the Creative Arts house. I also work for ITS, when time permits.

Tell us about your music career: Well, S.U.S. came together in the spring of my freshman year in 2009. Jordan McCord, Johnathan Muhammad, and I all play football, and not long after becoming friends we all realized that we loved to write rap music. We first started recording songs with garage band on a little Mac computer, and then learned from Garrington Spence, a 2010 alum, that Colgate had an official recording studio. We then applied to get access to the studio and the rest is history. We’ve recorded over 100 songs in the past 3 years and have released 5 total mixtapes.

As far as the Colgate song, it kind of came about randomly. Colin Flynn, a 2011 alum, suggested to me that we should make a school song to kind of get the school behind our music. He knew we had talent and thought that a school song would really cause the school population to support us. I then told Jordan that we should make a school song, and he loved the idea. Jordan is the most proactive in the group, and usually is the one to start songs, so as soon as I told him he went searching for a beat. He wanted something that would appeal to everybody, not just hip-hop fans, so we decided on a kind of techno/pop beat. Jordan then came up with the hook, and we wrote verses from there. In our verses we wanted to show our school spirit and talk about different things around Colgate, but also at the same time kind of brag about the fun we have here, haha. Our friend Wendell Lewis also was in the studio with us at this time and wrote a verse for the song too, so we had completed the song within an hour. We then put it on facebook/youtube and it received great buzz from the school. Now we are often asked to perform around campus. We plan on shooting a video for it soon too, so be on the lookout!

Check out the Colgate song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95x8Kw_v_kE

His hobbies: Well outside of football and music, I also love to act. In fact I have been in about 6 plays in my life and plan to pursue this further after college.

What he plans to do after Colgate: After graduation, I plan to go to graduate school to obtain my master’s and doctorate degrees in sports psychology. I also plan to further pursue my music and acting, as I mentioned.

3 fun facts:
Well…
1. I skipped a grade in elementary school, so I’m young for a senior (20).
2. I love to dance and do it often, sometimes randomly haha.
3. I am good at helping people with problems (maybe that’s why I’m a psych major) and I love to do it. So if you ever need someone to talk to I’m here!

Emily Bliss is a sophomore at Colgate University, where her academic interests include Political Science, Economics, and Chinese. She hopes to attend business school upon her graduation. In addition to being a tour guide and admissions office volunteer, she competes with the Alpine Ski Racing Team and the Rugby Club. Emily calls Cambridge, Massachusetts home, as it is where she was born and raised, though she loves living in Hamilton, New York when school is in session. Her favorite activities include spending time in and around Boston, watching Gossip Girl, traveling, and cooking!