Actionable Steps Colgate Students Can Take to Promote Sustainability on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

In an age where it is almost impossible to ignore the impending consequences of climate change, Colgate has initiated policies aimed at reducing the institution’s environmental impact. While it can be difficult to remain conscientious about sustainability as a busy college student, the University has made environmentalism a student-friendly and actionable concept. Whenever I walk through the Coop, one of two dining halls on campus, I see posters visualizing which bin to dispose of my coffee cup; I am always struck by the number of conservation-focused student groups and organizations on campus. Colgate’s website offers a myriad of information about the ways sustainability has been reflected on campus, which includes the “13 Days of Green,” a week preceding Earth Day in April when “guest speakers, clothing swaps, panel discussions, award ceremonies, and tree plantings” take place across campus. On top of that, there are plenty of opportunities for passionate students to participate in positions that are targeted towards educating the student body about sustainability, including the role of a sustainability office intern and the “S-Rep” program for first-year students.

The widespread culture of sustainability has seemingly rubbed off on me during my short first month or so on campus, and I have made several tweaks to my daily routine to promote greater sustainability like my peers. For one, I (mostly) use a reusable coffee cup in the mornings before going to class/practice to cut down on the use of disposable cups in each dining hall. In the past, I would  robotically pick up a new cup each time I grabbed coffee or tea—using upwards of three to four cups per day. Now that I’ve started thinking more intentionally about my environmental footprint, I’ve found comfort knowing that my individual act may encourage others to take my lead. More recently, I’ve swapped the pre-packaged oatmeal cups to my own rendition of overnight oats, which I make in a reusable container and bring with me to class or a workout. By making small, yet impactful changes, I hope to inspire others to do the same. If we, as a collective student body, perpetuate a culture of sustainability, other universities may feel more inclined to replicate our efforts.

I am certainly not alone in my mission to contribute to a greener campus. Around the school, it is impossible to miss the green to-go containers that Frank Dining Hall offers students upon request. The boxes have certainly been helpful in providing easy and sustainable transportation of meals while avoiding eating in a crowded dining hall amidst COVID-19 cases.

When you think about Colgate, one of the first things that comes to mind is the cruiser system. The system in and of itself is actually promoting a greener campus because it “helps to lower Colgate’s carbon footprint by reducing the number of personal vehicles on the road,” according to the University website. The transportation system is also a very convenient and reliable means of transportation, so it is definitely a win-win situation for all. While the cruiser is great, some students prefer a speedier way to get to classes and Colgate has the perfect alternative in offering the “Green Bikes” system, which is essentially a bike rental lottery that students can enter. If approved by the Office of Sustainability, students pay just a mere fifteen dollars per month, making the service incredibly affordable and sustainable in the long run. Approaching a greener campus is certainly on Colgate’s horizon, and by making small adjustments to our daily routines as students, it will certainly be the catalyst for reducing Colgate’s carbon footprint and serve as a model for other institutions across the country.

First-Year student at Colgate University. Passionate about sustainability, creative writing, and playing lacrosse!