This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Everyone knows how exhausting studying and homework can be. Therefore, it is essential to always have a snack handy. With finals coming up sooner than we would all like, snacks are a game changer when it comes to studying. I have compiled a list of my favorite go-to healthy snacks. These are all healthy, quick, easy, and perfect for on the go! 

1. Granola Bars

Granola bars are a great source of energy, whether they are store-bought or homemade. Some of my favorite store-bought granola bars include Lara Bars, Kind Bars, GoMacro Bars, RX bars and many more. However, homemade is always better (in my personal opinion!) so here is a healthy and quick granola bar recipe for you.

Minimalist Baker

Healthy 5-Ingredient Granola Bars: https://minimalistbaker.com/healthy-5-ingredient-granola-bars/ 

Ingredients:

1 cup packed dates (pitted)

1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar (or honey if not vegan)

1/4 cup creamy salted natural peanut butter or almond butter

1 cup roasted unsalted almonds (loosely chopped)

1 1/2 cups rolled oats 

Optional additions: chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts, banana chips, vanilla, etc. 

Directions:

1. Process dates in a food processor until small bites remain (about 1 minute). It should form a dough like consistency.

2. Optional Step: Toast your oats (and almonds if raw) in a 350-degree F oven for 10-15 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Otherwise leave them raw. 

3. Place oats, almonds, and dates in a large mixing bowl – set aside.

4. Warm maple syrup (or agave or honey) and peanut butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir and pour over oat mixture and then mix, breaking up the dates to disperse throughout. 

5. Once thoroughly mixed, transfer to an 8×8-inch baking dish or another small pan lined with plastic wrap or parchment paper so they lift out easily. 

6. Press down firmly until uniformly flattened. 

7. Cover with parchment paper or plastic wrap and let firm up in the fridge or freezer for 15-20 minutes. 

8. Remove bars from the pan and chop into 10 even bars. Store in an airtight container for up to a few days. 

2. Yogurt and Granola

Clearly, I like granola. One of my favorite breakfasts that can easily be turned into a snack is a yogurt bowl. I prefer Greek yogurt, but any yogurt would work. This is great for a super-fast, simple, yet nutritious and delicious snack. Greek yogurt also has a lot of protein to keep you full and help you focus on studying! 

Ingredients:

-Yogurt or Greek Yogurt (my favorite brands are Siggis, Chobani, and Icelandic Provisions)

-Granola (my favorite brands are Healing Home Foods, Purely Elizabeth, or Kind Granola)

-Optional Toppings: fruit, peanut butter, chocolate chips, nuts, cinnamon, coconut etc. 

Directions:

Combine ingredients into a bowl and enjoy! 

3. Toast

Toast is one of the easiest and fastest things to make and can be nutritious too! It can be simple or turned into a substantial snack. Some ways to make it healthier is swapping white bread for whole wheat or multigrain bread. Here are some classic combinations: 

-Avocado toast (and to make it better add goat cheese and EBTB seasoning!)

-Pesto, Tomato, and Mozzarella 

-PB&J (can never go wrong with a classic!)

-Peanut Butter & Banana (add chocolate chips for some sweetness)

And so many more! 

A great gluten free alternative is gluten free bread or a rice cake.

4. Twix Bars

Okay trust me, these are healthy. Everyone craves a little candy especially when studying, and they are a great alternative to your Halloween favorite. They are healthy, delicious, and very easy to make. 

Rachels Good Eats Healthy Twix Bars: https://rachaelsgoodeats.com/healthy-twix-bars-gf-df-refined-sugar-free/ 

Ingredients:

-Shortbread Layer

1/2 cup coconut flour

1/2 cup almond flour

1/3 cup coconut oil, melted 

3 tbsp honey, warmed (or maple syrup)

-Caramel Layer

1/2 cup almond butter, creamy or crunchy (or your favorite nut or seed butter)

1/4 cup coconut oil 

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 cup maple syrup

Pinch of sea salt 

-Chocolate Layer

One 2.5 oz dark chocolate bar (or 1/2 cup chocolate chips)

1 tbsp coconut oil 

1/4 tsp flakey sea salt 

Directions:

-Shortbread Layer

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Combine coconut and almond flours with melted coconut oil and warmed honey in a large bowl. Stir out all the crumbles of flour until thoroughly combined. 

3. Line a smaller baking dish (I prefer a 6×6 baking dish) with parchment paper and pack down shortbread mixture into the base using a silicone spatula. If the shortbread mix starts to stick to the spatula, dip in melted coconut oil and continue to gently press down evenly into the entire base of the dish. 

4. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until starting to turn golden brown. Remove once done and let cool completely. 

-Caramel Layer

1. Combine almond butter, coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup and sea salt in a saucepan over the stove on medium-low heat and heat until completely liquified, whisking together, about 2-3 minutes.

2. Remove from the burner and let cool completely.

-Chocolate Layer 

1. Break up the chocolate bar into a small bowl and add coconut oil. Warm in microwave for 30 sec intervals, stirring in between, until completely liquified. Or, heat over the stove.

-Twix Bars

1. Once shortbread & caramel have completely cooled, pour caramel sauce over the base layer, spreading out evenly. Set in freezer until it hardens *completely, * about 1-2 hours.

2. Remove from the freezer once frozen (if still soft, keep in the freezer until fully hardened) and pour chocolate over the top, spreading out evenly. Sprinkle flakey sea salt as the last touch and set back in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to harden.

3. Once chilled, remove the hardened mold from the pan by pulling on the sides of the parchment paper. Lay on a cutting board and using a large chef’s knife, slice into 1/2-inch strips, and from there, slice each strip into thirds. *if you leave the chocolate layer in the freezer for too long, it may crack when you cut into slices.

4. Ready to serve!! Enjoy! Store in airtight container in the freezer or fridge

5. Hummus and Carrots

Hummus and carrots are a perfect snack for on the go. You can eat it in your room or bring it to the library. Hummus can also be paired with a variety of things. Some of my favorite combinations are:

-Carrots

-Cucumbers 

-Peppers 

-Pretzels 

-Pita (and pita chips)

And more! 

6. Ants on a Log

A childhood favorite for many, this is a simple and healthy snack that is perfect for studying. All you need is celery, peanut butter, and raisins. 

All Recipes https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23953/ants-on-a-log/

Ingredients:

Celery 

Peanut Butter

Raisins 

Directions:

Cut the celery stalks in half. Spread with peanut butter. Sprinkle with raisins. 

7. Trail Mix

Again, another childhood favorite. Trail Mix is an excellent way to stay full but feel healthy with your snacking. One of the best things about homemade trail mix is you can add what you want and subtract what you don’t want. It is incredibly easy to prepare and can easily be brought with you to the library! 

Five Heart Home Healthy Trail Mix: https://www.fivehearthome.com/trail-mix-recipe/

Ingredients:

3 parts almonds

2 parts raw walnuts

2 parts raw pecans

1 part cashews

1 part dried cherries or cranberries 

1 part semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips 

1 part unsweetened flaked coconut 

Directions:

Measure all of the ingredients into a large bowl. Stir gently to combine. Store in an airtight container.

8. Banana Bread

Banana bread was obviously a major staple throughout COVID-19 and quarantine. However, it also makes a great study snack. There are also countless recipes that make banana bread slightly healthier so you can still feel good while having a little bit of sugar to help you stay up and study. 

Half Baked Harvest Chocolate Chip Almond Butter Banana Bread: https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/chocolate-chip-almond-butter-banana-bread/

Ingredients:

1/3 cup real maple syrup

1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt

1 egg

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3 overripe brown bananas, mashed

1/4 cup coconut or brown sugar

1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 – 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 

1/2 cup creamy almond butter

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F

2. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper.

3. In a mixing bowl, combine the maple syrup, greek yogurt, egg, vanilla, banana, and sugar until well combined. Beat in the flour, baking soda and salt until just combined.

4. Stir in the chocolate chips. 

5. Now take the almond butter and add it to the batter in teaspoon full size dollops and then gently swirl it into the batter. 

6. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips if desired…you may also now push in a few extra teaspoons of almond butter too!

7. Place the loaf pan on a baking sheet and set in the oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the center is set. If the top begins to brown (mine did after about 45 minutes), tent the bread with aluminum foil. Remove and let cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting. Bread will keep (covered) for 3-5 days.

Hi! I'm Elizabeth and I am a junior and a Sociology Major!
Courtney Day

Colgate '22

Courtney Day is the Campus Correspondent for the Colgate University chapter of Her Campus. She is an English major, minoring in both Political Science and Writing & Rhetoric, and is a member of the Women's Varsity Lacrosse team.