This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

It’s getting quite cold up here in Hamilton, New York, which means it’s winter time! It’s difficult to avoid getting a cold, but here are some must-have essentials that make the winter a bit more bearable.

Fleece lined leggings or yoga pants

Fleece lined leggings have changed my life during the winter. Not only are they super comfortable, but they’re also amazing at keeping you warm on your walk to class. Personally, I love the ones from Athleta, but T.J. Maxx and Marshalls also have good options for a cheaper price!

Hair dryer brush

There’s a good chance you have a friend that’s been raving about a hair dryer brush, most likely the Revlon one. Having your hair freeze post-shower  is miserable, but blow drying it becomes super easy and fast with a hair drying brush (meaning you won’t be late to class, even when it’s snowing). There are many other alternative brands with a range of pricing and features if you don’t want to purchase the Revlon brush.

Puffer jackets, lots of puffer jackets!

Never underestimate the warmth of a puffer jacket. They are a must-have for the winter season. There are so many choices and fun colors that are super cozy and sure to keep you warm all winter long. Personally, I find that black jackets go with every outfit, but it’s also fun to pair a bold color, like green, with a simple outfit. I also highly recommend getting a “fracket,” which is a cheap jacket you thrift or find for a good price that you don’t care about losing over the weekend.

Lip balm

With winter comes dryness and chapped lips from the chilly air. Lip balm is truly underrated, especially during the winter. My personal favorites are the rosebud salve lip balm by (Rosebud Perfume Co.) and the balm dotcom from Glossier.

A tumbler

The last must-have for winter is a tumbler, or thermos,  that keeps your drink hot for hours. There is nothing better than having a hot cup of coffee or tea during the winter. My favorite one is the Yeti tumbler. It was honestly the best gift I’ve ever received, and I use it every day! 

These are just a few of the items that will make your life during the winter more enjoyable, and hopefully a little less cold!

My name is Alisa, and I am a junior at Colgate University majoring in psychology. Career-wise, I am interested in the marketing, advertising, publishing, and journalism industries. Outside of school, I love learning about art history, reading fiction and non-fiction books, and staying active by playing soccer or tennis.