This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colgate chapter.

Have you found yourself in a reading slump?  It’s difficult to read for fun during the school year, but especially towards the end of the semester as finals week approaches. With winter break just around the corner, it is the perfect time to unwind with a cozy book that transports you to another place. This is a short list compiling some of my all-time favorites for winter, as well as recommendations I have requested and received from friends!

1- Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

Starting off with one of my absolute favorite books of all time is Anne of Green Gables. This is the first book in the Anne of Green Gables series and will always have a special place in my heart. The book follows 11-year-old Anne Shirley, an orphan arriving in the fictitious town of Avonlea on Prince Edward Island in Canada. The book follows Anne as she gets to know herself and the world around her, and you can’t help but feel fascinated by the way she interprets her surroundings. Although Anne can be overbearing at times, she is an endearing character and her adventures are quite entertaining.

2- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Another one of my favorites is Little Women. The novel follows the March sisters, Jo, Beth, Meg, and Amy, living in New England at the time of the Civil War. The book is a testament of the timeless themes of sisterhood, family, love, and loss. Each sister has their own unique personality and interests and it is fun to find bits and pieces of yourself in each of them. Throughout the book you follow the lessons the girls learn and watch them grow as individuals. It’s such a gem and a classic rightfully so.

3- The Nightingale by Kristen Hannah

This book takes place at the beginning of World War II. The book tells the story of two sisters, Vianne and Isabelle, each following their own unique journey experiencing German-occupied France. The book emphasizes telling the stories and experiences of those who were left at home, specifically women, when the soldiers went to war. If you liked All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, you will probably like The Nightingale.

4- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

This book tells the story of Jane Eyre who grows up in the Aunt’s cold, unwelcoming home. When she becomes employed as a governess for Mr. Rochester, the story takes a turn. Jane finds her feelings growing for Mr.Rochester, and at the same time begins to learn about Thornfield Hall’s hidden secret. What she learns forces her to make a difficult decision: stay and live with Mr. Rochester despite the implications, or leave who she loves? 

After reading this list, it becomes apparent I find period pieces to be the ideal winter book. Often, the hardest part of getting into reading again is picking up the book in the first place. Perhaps the ride back home provides the opportunity to pick up a book you are excited to read!

Hi! I'm Emery and am a freshman at Colgate University. I love to write and love all things journalism, media, and current events. I'm interested in majoring in either geography or political science. Beyond writing, I'm an avid traveler and love to play the violin, bake, hike, and practice photography!