Your Guide to Getting into the Holiday Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

As the winter creeps in, it’s easy for the depression to come along with it. It’s pitch black outside at 4 p.m., and most of us are in the depths of finals. But that’s nothing a little holiday magic can’t fix.

The most essential part of getting into the holiday spirit is MUSIC. Spend 20 minutes making a playlist with your favorite Christmas songs. I like to make a few different playlists for different vibes: upbeat Christmas music, studying Christmas music, etc.. If you don’t feel like making a playlist, Spotify and Apple Music also have a bunch. I also love the YouTube Christmas music and fireplace-crackling-sound videos; they really set the mood. Listening to holiday music just feels magical, and instantly boosts your serotonin.

Make your dorm festive. Now, I know it may seem frivolous to spend a ton of money on decorations for a dorm that you won’t even be in on Christmas, but I promise that a small effort will make a big difference. My friends and I went to Target and had the best time buying cute decorations. These don’t have to be excessive at all. Maybe get a cute holiday sign, or some string lights, just to make your room a cozy oasis. But, if you don’t want to spend money, there are a ton of easy DIY holiday decoration options as well.

Delicious holiday treats!! Whatever your favorite holiday treats are, have them!! I personally love a peppermint mocha from Starbucks and the snowman cookie. Anything that you don’t get the other 11 months of the year that reminds you of the holidays is perfect. Reward yourself for all that you do!

Plan cute holiday activities! Whether you and your friends plan a huge Yankee Swap, or just drive around listening to Christmas music, doing a fun and festive activity is sure to boost your spirits. It’s important to take study breaks, and you might as well make them fun and holly -jolly if you can! 

I am a sophomore at Colby College majoring in Economics with a minor in Performance Theater and Dance. I love Taylor Swift, iced and hot coffee, food, musical theatre, and all things pop culture. I am obsessed with basically all fandoms, including Harry Potter, Twilight, and The Hunger Games. I hope to someday go into Marketing, and I am particularly interested in social media marketing strategies.