Winter Weather Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

It’s getting cold out and you know what that means. It’s time to put those cutoff denim shorts and rainbow sandals to bed! Fall is finally upon us and winter will follow soon after. When you’re home over Thanksgiving or if your parents can send you up winter clothing now is the time to do it. Here are our cold weather style tips to guide you:

1. It’s not just about the boots: I’ll be the first to admit that I love throwing on a tall pair of boots in the fall, but I would be a fool to think that was enough to keep me warm. Sometimes leather doesn’t keep you as warm as you would like so you may feel like you need to trade in style for comfort. WRONG! One way to keep your tootsies warm without forgoing your new leather boots is getting a nice warm pair of wool socks. My favorite pair to wear under my boots is cream that goes up to my knees. I got mine for $7 at Marshalls!
  2. Hat hair doesn’t need to be your problem: You store a lot of heat in your head so keeping your ears covered is crucial! A hat, however, can often make your hair frizzy and/or matted. While you could just get a thick headband, which often doesn’t mess up your hair as much, but if you have a cute hat there are ways to defy the laws of hat hair. Try wearing a headband underneath your hat to keep your hair in tact. Also, you could try putting your hair in a low pony and use hair spray to keep your hair from moving. Bringing a small thing of hair spray or Moroccan Oil in your bag is also a good tactic to touching up your hair once you get inside.
  3. Layers on layers on layers: Do you ever walk in from being outside and instantly start sweating because it’s so much warmer inside? While wearing big sweaters and jackets are crucial for the Maine winter, they can be uncomfortable in a stuffy classroom for upwards of an hour. One way to fix this would be to wearing a light long sleeve t-shirt underneath a sweater so that you can adjust to the temperature accordingly. Incorporating a scarf and gloves with your outfit will also allow you to wear lighter clothing appropriate for the classroom temperature underneath your jacket and keeping you warm while walking outside.
  4. Don’t let the temperature stop you from exercising outside: Just because it’s cold outside doesn’t mean you have to confine yourself to the gym from now on. If you have the right type of clothing, exercising outside can still be fun and tolerable. Make sure you have a warm pair of leggings and some long sleeve tops as your basics. Look for material that has ventilation in the obvious areas because you’re still going to sweat. If you don’t have proper ventilation you’re going to get cold from the wetness of the sweat. Also make sure to have headbands, gloves, and thick socks. 

These simple tips will keep you looking warm and cute as we try to survive the crazy Maine winters. What are your favorite winter weather trends? 

Picture Source: 

http://saks.com

Brett is a senior at Colby College. She is an international studies and anthropology double major, and spent her first semester of college in Dijon, France.  She enjoys writing, traveling, Gossip Girl, and Thai food. Already having interned at fashion designers and magazines, she is excited to contribute to Her Campus! She is also a certified personal trainer and loves working out.