Valentine’s Day in the Holy Land

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Some of my friends really hate Valentine’s Day. I’ve heard every excuse out there, whether it’s “it makes me realize how unloved I am,” or “if someone out there really loves you they should tell you that everyday, not just one day a year.” One of my friends even said, “you’re so lucky you’re abroad and don’t have to deal with Valentine’s.”

The funny thing is, Valentine’s Day does exist here. That’s right, it even exists in Israel. I feel like I’ve seen at least 10 stores in my neighborhood decked out with Valentine’s Day gear. I’m talking heart shaped boxes full of chocolates, heart decorations, hallmark cards, roses, and jewelry. It only gives stores extra business when people are looking for gifts to give. Plus, Valentine’s Day isn’t only for lovers. It’s a time to show the people you care about how much you love them. So give your friends an extra hug or a tasty treat. Send a card to your parents and let them know that you’re thinking of them. And don’t forget your grandparents. Everyone knows your grandparents get so excited when they hear from you. It’s not too late to send e-cards…

Here’s how I’ll be spending Valentine’s Day. Sending cards and e-cards to friends and family, eating chocolate like it’s my job, and sending my love to everyone/everything I can’t be with tomorrow. That means you, Colby!

Here are some ideas how to send some love to your friends, family, and significant others far away:
1. Send a simple e-card to shows that you care
2. Call up a florist in your recipient’s area and send them a beautiful bouquet
3. Compose a love letter and email it to your significant other
4. Write an email to your parents/grandparents telling them know how much you love them and how grateful you are
5. Make a surprise visit
6. Buy a virtual gift certificate to their favorite restaurant
7. Skype them to just say “I love you”
8. Send them a collage online

Brett is a senior at Colby College. She is an international studies and anthropology double major, and spent her first semester of college in Dijon, France.  She enjoys writing, traveling, Gossip Girl, and Thai food. Already having interned at fashion designers and magazines, she is excited to contribute to Her Campus! She is also a certified personal trainer and loves working out.