Trying New Things Jan Plan Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

To the unfortunate population with no connection to the hill, the idea of Jan Plan brings forth nightmares of cold, dark, and dreary days. The sun sets unreasonably early, the temperature drops below zero, and a good chunk of your friends are on some sunny beach tanning and studying marine animals while you bear knee deep snow on your trek to class. But for those of us lucky mules, Jan Plan couldn’t be more exciting.

If you haven’t had the opportunity to experience a winter term yourself, you may wonder why we’ve used the words “lucky” and “exciting” in the same sentence as “Jan Plan.” So, those of us at HCC want to share some of the many reasons why this month should bring forth a sigh of relief.

Although it may seem quite obvious when you look at your one course schedule, Jan Plan really frees you up. While college may seem to present you with more free time than high school for naps and television during the day, the regular semester often consumes more of your time than you hope it will. Therefore, during Jan Plan, there are a number of different things we at HCC like to explore. Check out our list!

Friends: Catch up with some of your school or home friends that you may have lost touch with during the busy semester. Jan Plan is always a great time to have guests visit as you typically have a lot less homework!

Activities: Jan Plan is a great time to try a new hobby or join a new club. While you’re up here in snowy Maine, you might as well take advantage of the weather and learn how to ski or ice skate. It’s even a great time to utilize your dorm kitchen and perfect your culinary skills. Whip up some peppermint brownies and share them with your hall. Who knows what new friends brownies can make?

Career Planning: Jan Plan is the best time to think about what you want to do for the summer or for seniors, after you graduate. Meet with the career center while they have some time to really focus on you. Schedule a mock interview, send in some resumes, and do a whole lot of research on your possible career interests. Who knows what you might find?

TV/Movies: Go check out Railroad Square Cinema. They

play awesome movies and are attached to an incredible Mexican restaurant (Buen Appetito). Start a new TV show with your roommates. This will give you an activity to look forward to doing together when the busy semester schedule starts again.

Restaurants: Make it your goal to try all the restaurants in Waterville. Not only will you contribute to the local economy, but also you’ll expand your palette. If you haven’t tried any of Waterville’s local restaurants, we can assure you won’t be disappointed. Finally, take a road trip to Brunswick or Portland. Both have incredible restaurants and a change of scenery.

Sports: Check out a home (or away) game. Think outside the box: the ski team’s carnival takes place at Sugarloaf at the end of the month! What about checking out a Portland Pirates hockey game. Tickets are only 15 bucks for students and the games have a feel of the big leagues.

As you can see, Jan Plan is the perfect opportunity to expand your horizons!

Image Credit: http://www.panoramio.com/photo…

Gillian graduated from The Winsor School in Boston, MA in 2012 and is now a member of the class of 2016 at Colby College.