This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Meet Tom Letourneau, a senior from Dayton, Maine. Read his interview with HCC to find out why this campus celebrity really runs the show.

Hey, Tom, so how should we start? How about you tell us why you love Colby?

I love Colby because everyday I feel challenged. It’s made me a very different person that I was four years ago.

What about your major?

I’m a Women’s Gender and Sexuality Studies and English double major. I’m also a Russian minor.

Wow! That’s a wide range of topics. How did you choose what to study?

I started as a Russian and German double major, but took some classes in English and WGSS. My advisor pushed me to try some classes in these other topics and I decided to stick with what I found to be most intellectually stimulating.

Sweet! Do you think you’ll get to use Russian in the future?

I would like to use it again, maybe go back to school and continue to learning the language.

What are you involved with on the hill? How about off-campus?

I’m part of the Cross Country, Indoor Track, and Outdoor Track teams. I’ve been running since freshman year of high school. I am also the co-president of The Bridge and a member of both the College Affairs and Multi-Cultural Affairs Committees. Off-campus, I volunteer for the Waterville High School’s Gay/Straight Alliance. I also participate in mule-prep, a free SAT prep course for high school students from Central Maine.

Wow! You sure do a lot on campus! Any accomplishment you’re most proud of?

I really enjoyed putting together transgender November. It was hard to plan, but I thought it was very successful. I am really proud of the statement I think it made at Colby.

So, since you’ll be graduating fairly soon, do you have any advice for those just arriving at Colby?

Take as many classes as possible. Take classes that make you feel uncomfortable. Step outside your academic comfort zone.

Any plans for next year yet?

I’m doing Teach for America. I’ll be teaching a kindergarten class in Helena, AK.

What do you see yourself doing in 5 years?

I definitely foresee myself in a classroom. Maybe teaching?  Maybe grad school?

Anything else you’d like to share with us?

Hmmm… I love cats. I have one sister and a niece. I’m the first one in my family to go to college. Oh, and I haven’t worn deodorant since 2008!

Thank you so much for taking the time to talk with us, Tom! We’ll see you around campus soon!

Gillian graduated from The Winsor School in Boston, MA in 2012 and is now a member of the class of 2016 at Colby College.