St. Patrick’s Day at Colby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Doghead has come upon us, and the build up for this day is unlike any other. Colby’s celebration of St. Patrick’s Day is definitely one of the highlights of the year. Here are some tips to channel your inner Irish-self and celebrate this holiday fully. Everyone is a little Irish, even if it’s just in spirit!

Raid your closet, and find your best green pieces. This does not have to be the bright crayon-green we usually associate with St. Patrick’s Day; even shades of mint will do if you’re trying to stay a bit more fashionable. But this also doesn’t mean you can’t go all out and buy some novelty shirts! Those of the “Kiss Me, I’m Irish” variety never go out of style, and this is one of the only days you can break those classic tees out of the closet. Along with this, accessories are always a necessity. Buy some fun shamrock headbands, or if you’re feeling a bit more adventurous, a leprechaun hat. An accessible choice would be to wear some gold accessories you already have, to add that “pot of gold” aspect to your look.

Imagine sitting in Dana, The Dropkick Murphy’s beginning to play overhead. Listening to some Irish tunes is a great way to get into the mood, and a great St. Paddy’s Day Playlist is crucial to any party this Doghead. You can go traditional and authentic Irish with some river dancing music, or even U2, but also very modern with Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’s “Irish Celebration”. This song is not only about St. Patrick’s Day, but also the general pride in the Irish nationality, and all the accomplishments that Irish men and women have completed here in the United States. 

Start memorizing the lyrics now for when Macklemore makes his way to Colby later this spring!

And after a long night of celebrating, make a late night run to Purple Cow (if you’re still drunk, please take a cab or find a sober friend)! This delicious diner in Fairfield is right down the road and is open 24 hours on Fridays and Saturdays, allowing for the perfect after party. You can continue with the Irish theme and order some corn beef hash or Irish eggs benedict, but you can never go wrong with one of their famously delicious (and huge) pancakes.

This weekend is more than just green solo cups. It’s a wonderful celebration, full of great people. We are only blessed with this day once a year, so have a fun and safe St. Patrick’s Day, everyone!

Photo Credits: http://people.howstuffworks.co…

http://blog.yahoo.com/_VPBMXPA…

Gillian graduated from The Winsor School in Boston, MA in 2012 and is now a member of the class of 2016 at Colby College.