This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Meet Cole Yaverbaum, one of Colby’s most known student leader.  Read about her favorite activities to do in her free time and learn about what she does on campus.

What is your major?

My major is English with a concentration in Creative Writing.

Just to give our readers a little preview, tell us about all of the clubs and activities that you are involved in here at Colby:

My biggest commitments are SGA and CCAK.

What is your favorite thing to do on campus during your spare time?

My favorite thing to is write. I don’t get to do this a lot, but I really like sitting outside on a nice day and writing. Poetry mostly.

What is something that you wish you could have done over your past four years here at Colby that you haven’t had the chance to do?

I wish I had spent more time in the Pugh center. 

Do you think that you will try or be able to fit it in before you graduate?

Yes, I know it’s something I can and am fitting in now! So many cool events in there all the time but most importantly so many cool people. 

What do you think you will be doing after you graduate?

Ultimately I want to go into teaching. I would love to get my MFA in Poetry.

Is that how you thought you would be doing when you were a freshman at Colby?

I think I’ve changed a lot since freshman year. I attribute a lot of that to my experience studying abroad in Buenos Aires: it’s easy to start thinking that my life at Colby totally reflects what my life in the world will be. Studying abroad gave me this hugely wide perspective on how huge the world is and how many different kinds of people are in it. It sounds kind of vague, but it’s true. 

What is something that no one knows about you?

I really hate cotton balls! My favorite food is avocado! I need a lot of sleep!

Who is someone that you look up to for inspiration?

I look up to my mom in so many ways. I look up to Adrian Blevins, my poetry professor and friend who showed me what it means to care about language. I look up to my ten year old mentee, Jose. 

Gillian graduated from The Winsor School in Boston, MA in 2012 and is now a member of the class of 2016 at Colby College.