An Art Project to Welcome Spring a Little Early

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

How To Make Tissue Paper Flowers

For my first craft how-to, I wanted to start off with this super easy tissue paper flower that my friend taught me how to make this summer.  You can make them into flowers for friends and family, or use them as a hanging decoration.  These flowers are especially great because they look intricate but you don’t need much artistic ability, supplies, or time to make them.  So the next time you want to impress your friends or decorate your room, try out this fun and simple craft!

First, you will need to get your supplies: a sheet of tissue paper, scissors, and either string, ribbon, or a pipe cleaner.  Pipe cleaners work the best if you are making a regular flower, while the ribbon is better if you want to hang your paper decoration.

Cut the sheet into six (relatively) equal pieces.

Stack the pieces of tissue paper on top of each other and fold them into a paper fan.

Pinching the folds of the fan together, cut the ends into a petal-like shape.

Open up the sides of the fan, and layer by layer, start to carefully pull the sheets of tissue paper apart.  Don’t worry if the paper rips a little – you won’t be able to tell!

Continue to pull the layers apart on either side of the ribbon or pipe cleaner until all the sheets are separated, and you’re done!  Feel free to get creative and add petals, paint, or designs to your flower or pipe cleaner, and enjoy!

Brett is a senior at Colby College. She is an international studies and anthropology double major, and spent her first semester of college in Dijon, France.  She enjoys writing, traveling, Gossip Girl, and Thai food. Already having interned at fashion designers and magazines, she is excited to contribute to Her Campus! She is also a certified personal trainer and loves working out.