This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

You thought you had a busy spring semester? Check out our newest Campus Celebrity, Alexandre Caillot. We heard that this junior has a whole lot on his plate, so we were very grateful that he took some time to answer a few questions for Her Campus Colby. Enjoy!

HCC:Hey, Alexandre! So, Let’s start off with a little background. Can you share with us a little information about your life before Colby? Where are you from? What are your interests?
AC:I am a double major in History and Classics.  I was born in Ohio, but moved to Vermont at the age of six, where my close proximity (15 minutes!) from the Canadian border means I have a pretty strict view of what cold means…I’m also used to hearing French from across the border!  I live in the country, where my hometown of under 1,000 is out populated by the deer, moose and black bears!  
As far as academics go, I am planning on becoming a professor of medieval military history.  Due to my ancestry on my father’s side – he comes from Normandy in France – I have been interested in medieval history (including the Normans’ own medieval exploits!) since a very young age.  In particular, I have developed an abiding fascination in military matters, including battle tactics and weapons technology.  
I also have a great interest in music, in particular classical.  I have been playing classical piano since the age of five, and in fact, had lessons for the past 11 years with a classical pianist (during my lessons, I played on her concert grand that was originally owned by Leonard Bernstein!).  I have continued my lessons on campus, and performed every semester so far.
As far as quirky interests go, I developed a curiosity for many little critters…in particular, spiders as well as butterflies and moths.  This translated into a number of collaborative projects with a local natural history museum.  While I am not a science major, I still think they are super cool!

HCC: We are all really interested to hear about the long list of clubs you are active in at school as we all know how hard it is to manage your time in college!
AC: In regards to clubs, I have been an active member in several different organizations.  For starters, I was Secretary of both French Club and GQ (Gentlemen of Quality) last year.  This meant that I helped ensure tight coordination amongst the club officers so that events could happen according to plan.  I’m also a member of the Ballroom Club, which means I’ve been honing my ballroom dancing skills for some time now…as part of this ongoing effort, I will be performing in Colby’s first “Dancing with the Stars” event this Friday, March 1st at 7:00 p.m. (Page Commons). (HCC: Hope to see you all there!) Furthermore, I am a member of the Medieval Reading Society (oh, surprise!), and OASIS.  
This year, I am a Vice President of French Club, which allows me to offer more input on how events are planned and actually unfold.   Also, last semester I started my own club, Colby Blue Wave Tae Kwon Do. This was the result of a hope I had had since I started at Colby.

HCC: Congratulations! That’s so exciting that you get to share your Tae Kwon Do experience with others on the hill. Would you tell us a little more about this passion?
AC:  I have been doing Tae Kwon Do since the age of nine, when I had the great opportunity to study under a very high-ranking Grand Master in the art.  Since then, I have become a Third Degree Black Belt, and as a result am certified to teach.  The club’s goal is to teach Tae Kwon Do in a practical way, so that members – whether long-time martial artists or beginners – will know how to defend themselves in a dangerous situation.  I have led several demonstrations so that the campus can see the action!  It would be great to see more female participate and learn basic self defense!
In regards to my own Tae Kwon Do training, my instructor was what would be defined as “old school”.  This meant a strong emphasis placed on realism, rigorous training, and a high level of quality.  I was taught the full spectrum of Tae Kwon Do training, including board breaking and sparring (tournament fighting).  Next year, I will be going for my Fourth Degree test; if I succeed, I will receive the title of Master.  

HCC: Very impressive. We definitely agree that it’s important for everyone to have experience in self-defense. So, What’s your favorite of all these clubs?
AC: It’s difficult to pick a favorite club.  However, since I actually am the president of one, and teach the classes, it’s hard not to pick Colby Blue Wave Tae Kwon Do.

HCC: So, where do you find the time for all this???
AC: Insofar as handling all of these activities, planning has been key.  I tend to keep a pretty detailed calendar (iCal FTW), and so if you see me around campus with my iPhone out, chances are that I am writing down an event on it!  Of course, managing all these activities is made easier when you have a trusty “network” to help you out in times of need…

HCC:Finally, would you tell us a little about why you love Colby.
AC: My experience at Colby has been a memorable one for a number of reasons.  I have really come to enjoy the close connections we can form with faculty, because it means that we don’t just learn in the classroom – we also learn outside of it in many cool ways.  I have also found a lot of great people who share my proclivity for eclecticism, and it’s truly rewarding to see that Colby’s student body continues to be diverse not only in background, but in interests!  I know that while senior year is just around the corner, the memories I’ve formed here will last a long time.

HCC: Thank you so much for taking the time to interview with us, Alexandre. Good luck with the rest of your semester, and we look forward to s

Brett is a senior at Colby College. She is an international studies and anthropology double major, and spent her first semester of college in Dijon, France.  She enjoys writing, traveling, Gossip Girl, and Thai food. Already having interned at fashion designers and magazines, she is excited to contribute to Her Campus! She is also a certified personal trainer and loves working out.