This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Robyn Rihanna Fenty was just a girl from Barbados who wanted to follow her dream. Now, she is a singing sensation, business icon, and an expecting mother! Rihanna has influenced so many people in her life and continues to inspire more every day. Between albums and product lines, I wonder how she manages it all! She is truly someone with great poise and confidence that makes anyone lucky to engage with anything she does.

In her early music career, Rihanna was dropping hit singles that made heads turn. Her first song, “Pon De Replay”, really launched her career and ignited the spark for her to create more music. Her fantastic blend of pop, R&B, reggae, and hip-hop gave her a new sound that fans fully embraced. She released eight studio albums throughout her music career and each one displayed a new era of her life. 

Her first albums, Music of the Sun and A Girl Like Me, gave the upbeat and perky vibes you would expect from a new pop artist. These albums gave us some hope for more to come. I think Rihanna hit her prime of music with her albums, Good Girl Gone Bad, Rated R, and Loud. These albums introduced a completely different side of Rihanna. We are not seeing the girl next door anymore; instead, we are seeing the vulnerability and passion that lies deep inside of her. Personally, these sections of albums gave me a new view of music. I loved her song, “Take A Bow” because it had an R&B and pop structure, but it also expressed a form of boldness that women needed to hear. When she says, “Baby, when I know you’re only sorry you got caught,” it shined a light on the negatives of relationships. These are things that aren’t usually talked about with songs, but she delivers her music in a way that relates to her audience.

The last three albums she made were, by far, some of my favorites. The albums, Talk That Talk, Unapologetic, and Anti, really showed fans the beauty behind the chaos of life. I say this because Rihanna put her best foot forward and created something true to herself. It wasn’t something to boost her career, but something that came from the heart. Yes, these albums are what people adore about her, but the messages that were hidden beneath the beats and lyrics were just as powerful. In her song, “Needed Me,” she says, “Oooh, you needed me. To feel a little more, and give a little less.” That line alone just gives self-confidence and reassurance that you do not depend on anyone, and that people should be lucky to have you in their life. Overall, her music connects people to so many emotions and epiphanies about who they are.

On top of creating amazing music, Rihanna is a successful businesswoman. She has three businesses under her name and is extremely wealthy with them. Her businesses include Fenty Beauty, Fenty Skin, and Savage x Fenty. She focused on these fashion and beauty businesses after her last album was released in 2016. Since then, she has become an icon and one of the richest female musicians! I think this is so inspiring to women because it shows that Rihanna is successful with her voice and her mind. She encourages younger generations to trust the process and do what they want to do.

Rihanna is such an icon and has given us so many things through the course of her career. Although she is about to become a mother, she is continuously showing us to never be afraid of who we are and who we want to be. We are so lucky to have her talents showcased in music and products! She is the perfect example of following your dreams and defying the odds stacked against you.

Dyneira Brown

Coastal Carolina '23

Dyneira is a Broadcast Journalism Communication Major with a Minor in Marketing at Coastal Carolina University. She is a Peer Leader, Research Fellow, and is on the Student Advisory Committee for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion! She is a captain of the Chanticleer Regiment Marching Band. Dyneira loves Marvel movies/shows and aspires to have a career in the media field!