This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

I’ve had a crush on Keke Palmer since I saw Jump In as a seven-year-old, and I wanted to be just like her character in True Jackson, VP when I grew up. But I won’t lie, as I got older and grew out of networks like Disney and Nickelodeon, Keke Palmer left my peripheral vision. Since my childhood, Keke Palmer has been in a variety of shows, movies, and other media platforms. Although I didn’t keep up with her as much as a teenager, I recently fell in love with her all over again when she hosted the Met Gala. She was gorgeous (as always), hilarious, and loving toward everyone she interviewed. 

I recently saw a trailer for the movie Nope directed by Jordan Peele, in which Palmer stars. The cast consists of some of my favorite stars, but Palmer’s performance is who’s I’m most excited to see. Considering I haven’t seen any of her recent work, I’m excited to see how I react to her acting now versus how I did when I was a kid. The link for the trailer to Nope can be found here. I’m not entirely sure what this film will be about, but I can assure you it is going to be a hit this summer (at least that’s my prediction!)

But what I really want to focus on in this article is that Keke Palmer is not only an amazing actress, but she is also an amazing person who has been open with many vulnerable aspects of her life that she does not have to publicize, but chooses to, as far as we know. She struggles with polycystic ovary syndrome, commonly known as the abbreviated PCOS, a common disorder that isn’t well understood by the masses. Keke Palmer has also said that she received an abortion and that she suffers from anxiety and depression. These experiences and topics are not easy for a lot of people to talk about, especially perhaps for someone who is under a constant heavy-handed cultural microscope. So I applaud her for being so open and vulnerable with the world about her life, when she could totally keep things private, or as private as possible when you’re a celebrity.

I feel like I have grown up with Keke Palmer. From child acting to now starring in blockbuster films, and following her on social media, she feels like one of those “real” celebrities. Keke Palmer has been a star as long as I have been alive, and I can’t wait to see what else she produces in her career. I will gladly sit in any movie theater, however long, to see a film she is starring in.

Keke Palmer is in the spotlight for a reason. She’s hilarious, intelligent, beautiful, and like I said, an amazing person. Watch this fun interview of Keke Palmer here. To celebrate her further after this Woman Crush Wednesday post, I suggest lining up with me to buy a ticket to Nope in July.

Sage Short

Coastal Carolina '22

Sage Short is an undergraduate English student and research fellow at Coastal Carolina University. In her free time, she enjoys writing, reading, and listening to Florence and the Machine.