This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Do you remember the moment you realized what you wanted to do in life? When the lightbulb went off in your head and you just knew you were destined to do this. 

It was 2013 and I was sitting in my school’s library. I was a freshman in college studying criminal justice. I had just finished reading The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. I realized that I wanted to start writing for fun. Immediately, a book idea popped into my head and I would spend my gaps in between my classes writing. That book is still sitting in my notebook somewhere and it never took off.  

I continued to write all throughout my freshman and sophomore year until I finally realized that I wanted to do that the rest of my life. I changed my major to English and dove into the world of writing. I practiced whenever I could and wrote all the time at home. 

I began to write a second (completely different) book which also is still sitting on my computer. But it inspired me to explore the world of writing prompts which I have become obsessed with. I have pinned a bunch and I write short pieces based off them from time to time. 

I also continued to read, researching my favorite authors’ writing techniques and trying to implement them in my own work. I wanted my work to get picked up like their’s did. I wanted my writing to be read by so many people. 

I always say that reading saved my life. I was in a very dark place when I found my love for reading and I don’t think I would be here today if I hadn’t. It made me feel safe and less alone. I found people that reminded me of myself and that brought inspiration to my life. 

I want that for my readers–a place to escape from the real world and all the troubles in their lives. So, I began to write my latest book. I have finished the rough draft and am in the process of editing it so I can send it to a literary agency.  

I want my work to not only inspire people, but to make them feel like I did all those years ago. 

Samantha Wypych

Coastal Carolina '22

Samantha is a student at Coastal Carolina University where she is a contributor for HerCampus and is currently in the process of furthering her writing skills.