This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Circling many online forums is the term ‘TERF’(Transgender Exclusionary Radical Feminists). This is not a new creation of radicalism, however, it is gaining more attention now than ever.

Some believe that the term is a slur towards women who simply ‘question’ gender within the feminist community. This group works to restrict the rights of trans women and brings an un-ending sense of transmisogyny to the world. Transmisogyny meaning: “A blend of transphobia and misogyny which manifests as discrimination against trans women and trans men, along with genderqueer, nonbinary, and other forms of gender identification. This discrimination is targeted towards those who identify to be on the feminine end of the gender spectrum.

TERF isn’t a slur, rather, it’s more of a label towards transphobic people who claim to be feminists: “Transgender Exclusionary Radical Feminists” (Megan Murphy). Radical feminists boldly and publicly outcast TERFS, they should not be considered the same thing because they simply aren’t. “What is Radical Feminism?” is a wonderful article that goes into detail about the truth of who rad-fems are.

Feminism isn’t about discriminating against one another due to gender. Our entire goal is to gain respect, safety, and privilege. We do not want to be treated equally to men; we want to be treated like humans. Disrespecting and degrading transgender men, women, and other gender identities such as trans genderqueer or trans non-binary, isn’t ‘questioning gender’, it’s inhumane. Transgender women and transgender men are women and men; there’s no discussion or debate. A woman is a woman if she identifies as one, not based on her reproductive system.

So, how do you know if you are a TERF? Glad you asked!

1. You separate transgender women and men from cis-gendered women and men. They are the same thing, men and women.
  2. Claim to not have cis-gender privilege or that cis-privilege doesn’t exist.
  3. Dehumanize the trans community, especially women as being less than; or ‘trying’ to be women.
  4. Referring to their transition as a way to escape the patriarchy (click HPL for more).

We do not condone discrimination in any form against women, men, or any gender identification. As bell hooks calls Feminism “a movement to end sexism, sexist exploitation, and oppression”. Those who degrade and dehumanize women, men, and all forms of gender identity are NOT feminists.

To TERFS: the feminist community does not claim you, so get out.

Kayla Coyne

Coastal Carolina '20

My name is Kayla Coyne and I am a Junior English Major with a Linguistics Minor at Coastal Carolina University. In my free time I enjoy reading, sleeping, drinking coffee, and being with my girlfriend. I hope to teach English in Japan or South Korea some day and I would love to travel the world!