This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

When SZA announced her tour dates last year, I bought 2 tickets instantaneously. I didn’t know who I was going with or how my classes would line up with the date, but it ended up working in my favor. My friend agreed to go and the concert was over Coastal’s Spring Break. Least to say, I am definitely glad I impulsively bought those tickets a few months ago.

Her Atlanta show was in the State Farm Arena. I knew my way around this venue pretty well because I had been to previous concerts here. I saw Ariana Grande and Lizzo live at the same venue. So, this arena holds a lot of good memories for me. 

Omar Apollo opened for SZA. To be honest, my friend and I got to our seats a little late so I didn’t get to hear a lot from him. But, from what I heard, he sounded great. I would definitely be open to listening to more of his music! When Omar got off stage, the crowd was just starting to get hyped. Music was blasting as everyone was in their seats waiting for SZA. The crowd was singing along to the songs and there were even dance battles going on between fans in the crowd. Overall, this made the vibes great and made everyone excited.

The next thing I knew, the lights dimmed and SZA’s voice started coming over the speakers. I loved her intro because it was similar to her album cover. She looked to be sitting on a diving board on stage and the projection behind her was the vast blue water. She kept the “lost at sea” vibe throughout her whole set. This theme was unique to any concert I had been to and really encompassed her SOS album. When her intro was over, the screen lifted to show a physical boat on stage. I was kind of surprised she didn’t have a runway connected to her stage, but with all the props during her set, I really didn’t feel the need for one. 

Unlike her other shows, the sound cut out at only a few songs in. The crowd kept her going by singing the words to her song flawlessly. Then, when they still couldn’t get the sound fixed, she ran off stage and didn’t come back until 15-20 minutes later. Everyone around me was getting worried and praying that the show wouldn’t get canceled. That was definitely a first for me where they couldn’t get the sound right at a big venue like that. Luckily, in the end they figured it out so SZA could get back on stage. Despite the technical difficulties, she came back better than ever.

I was hoping for some special guests during the show and my wish definitely came true. She brought out Summer Walker and they sang their song “No Love”. Lil Baby also came out and rapped a song alone. Additionally, more rappers were watching in the crowd. Many famous rappers are from Atlanta, so I was pleased that they came to support SZA at her show!

During the last half of the concert, a lighthouse appeared near the sound booth and SZA was on a yellow raft floating above the crowd. There she sang a few songs including “Drew Barrymore” which was probably my favorite that she sang. Later in her set, she also sang her hit, “Kill Bill” which got the whole crowd hyped. The lights turned red for this song and she even swung what looked to be weapons around. Honestly, it was such a slay.

I was so happy leaving that concert, and I am so blessed that I got the opportunity to see artists I love live. If you ever get the chance to go to concerts, take it! The atmosphere and vibes in an arena that size with an amazing singer are unmatched.

Caroline Surface

Coastal Carolina '25

Caroline is a junior Interactive Journalism Communication major at Coastal Carolina University. She is from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and has two cats and one dog. She was on the yearbook team all throughout high school, which is where she found her passion of telling stories through writing.