Single for Valentine’s Day? Here are some ways to have some self-love!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Seeing all of the happy couples buying chocolate or exchanging gifts is exhausting to watch around this time of year. We all are tired of the sad looks from our friends or our parents telling us to “just find a date”. Valentine’s Day may focus on couples in love, but I think single people deserve a chance to love themselves! There are so many reasons to love who you are and I’m going to tell you some ways you could do it!

• Binge-Watching your favorite movies/shows!

When you are home alone, it is so easy to feel down while your friends are out celebrating the holiday. Personally, I find it as the perfect time to find the perfect spot in your room (or maybe in the common area), kick back, and turn on your favorite movie or show! It doesn’t have to be love-related at all! Just tune into that show you meant to start or a movie that gives you comfort. There are always some things on Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, and even Amazon Prime! I am currently watching Sweet Magnolias on Netflix, Regular Show on Hulu, any Marvel movie on Disney Plus, and The Wheel of Time on Amazon Prime! Like me, you could watch cartoons for some nostalgia and humor or maybe start a new drama show that makes you think differently about the world. Overall, I think this is the chance to forget about what is happening in the world and really focus on something that you like.

• Giving yourself some (rightfully earned) Me Time <3

Even though Valentine’s Day may not apply to the status of your love life, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t love yourself! You should feel proud and appreciated for all of the hard work you have done. You should congratulate yourself on all the strength and confidence you have for being who you are… by yourself! So, you earned that ME TIME! Treat yourself to a manicure or a pedicure, go shopping for yourself, and spend money on your favorite food! This is the time to do things by yourself without anyone changing your mind! You deserve every moment and the best person to give you everything you want, is you! 

• Crafts!

Crafts are a great way to release your emotions! Personally, I like painting, but you could try a variety of things! You can draw, build things, make bracelets, sculpt a new bowl, the possibilities are endless! Art is something that is super fun, but it also helps you to express whatever feeling you have inside of you! You could easily do this alone, but it is also fun to do with others! You may be able to take an art class or hang out with other single friends!

• Hang Out with Other Single people!

It’s easy to feel like you have to be alone this holiday, but you aren’t! There are a lot of people who are feeling the same way as you! If you have other friends that are single, be with them! It’ll help you both feel better and you may have some fun! Celebrate others and try out new places that may have other single people! This doesn’t mean you are looking for love, but you may make new friends and bond over the fact that you are all single on Valentine’s!

Overall, do not feel bad about being single on Valentine’s Day. It doesn’t mean that you are undesirable or worthless. Think about everything that you overcame to get to this moment. Think about the courage it takes to find happiness on a day that society classifies as something exclusive for couples. You are worth it. So, take that time to show yourself the love you deserve.

Dyneira Brown

Coastal Carolina '23

Dyneira is a Broadcast Journalism Communication Major with a Minor in Marketing at Coastal Carolina University. She is a Peer Leader, Research Fellow, and is on the Student Advisory Committee for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion! She is a captain of the Chanticleer Regiment Marching Band. Dyneira loves Marvel movies/shows and aspires to have a career in the media field!