This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

TW: Suicide 

Tomorrow. We are always thinking about tomorrow. We tell ourselves to suck it up, put on a brave face and keep going. We hope that tomorrow will bring something different, anything different. 

It is my greatest hope beyond these words that you will see that tomorrow. I know you may need some answers now though, so let’s talk about today.

It’s the day a friend hears your voice.

Today your face is the first thing she sees. 

Nothing would be the same if you did not exist. 

You are already enough just as you are.

You do not have to perform, or hustle, or hide, or fake it. 

You can be honest. 

Your honest words give someone else permission to offer their own. 

It’s your voice, your ideas, your story- the way you share these makes today better. 

You are meant to experience the wonder and awe of the world we live in. 

You are made to reignite the flame inside of people. 

You are made for sunsets and better days to come. 

You are made for so much more than your darkness ever wanted you to believe.

You, who are worth so much to so many- 

You make today worth it. 

Every single year, 800,000 people die from suicide, which means one person takes their life every 40 seconds. For each death, there are an additional 25 attempts. (https://www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/suicide/suicideprevent/en/)

Lies: Asking for help makes you weak. Suicide cannot be prevented.

Truth: Your pain is valid. It is okay to not be okay. There is hope. There is help. And you deserve both. 

You are not alone. There are people out there who see and understand you. As hard as it may be to hear that now, I promise with my whole heart that it is true. Don’t be ashamed of your struggles. Your pain is what has made you into the person you are today. You are so much stronger than you know. 

September 10th is World Suicide Prevention Day. 

We want you to stay.  

• National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

To anyone out there who is hurting, it’s not a sign of weakness to ask for help. It’s a sign of strength.” 

-Barack Obama 

P.S. If any of my readers need someone to talk to, I am always here and ready to listen. 

Kele Bullock

Coastal Carolina '22

Kele is a 20 year old junior in college. She is an English major with a minor in Digital Media and Culture. Some of her favorite hobbies are writing, reading, photography, fashion, and styling. She hopes to reach like minded people through her journey in writing, and hopefully help others stories be heard one day as well! Please feel free to reach out to her. :)