Wellness > Mental Health

On the Road to Building Suicide Awareness and How to Help Those Who Need Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Suicide Prevention month is dedicated to creating awareness for one of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States. In order to create this awareness, the entire month of September is devoted to recognizing how important this battle is. Suicide is something people would rather avoid talking about because people don’t want to know about it. Participating in the fight to help those in need is the first step to getting those who are struggling with internal battles like anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, drug abuse, and more to open up and begin talking. 

There is an average of over 120 suicides per day in this country and is the 10th leading cause of death. In America, it is the second leading cause in ages 25-34 and the third leading cause for ages 15-24. Globally, suicide is the second leading cause of death among 15-29 year olds. Suicide is one of the fastest growing epidemics in the world, with 44,000 people passing each year. These studies are truly alarming and although in recent years society has grown more open to conversations on suicide, with suicide rates increasing, we need to be doing more. 

Suicidal thoughts, unfortunately, can stem from anything and can affect anyone, regardless of age or gender. Normally, those who struggle with depression are more likely to have suicidal tendencies and often cover them up very well, which makes it difficult for people to see the signs. Although this is the case, it does not mean it is impossible to pick up on the signs; extreme mood swings, isolation, sleeping too much or too little, talking about feeling hopeless or trapped, feeling like they’re in undeniable pain. Paying attention to these signs can help alert you if someone is having suicidal thoughts or tendencies.

It is important for someone who is feeling these tendencies or having these thoughts to know there is help available, whether that be through friends and family or support services like therapy. People struggling with this feel very isolated. As a 21 year old woman who deals with both, feeling alone is extremely common for me, even in a room full of people. I’ve struggled with it for years and if I never opened up to my family, they couldn’t have helped me and encouraged me to go to therapy. I opened up to them about my struggles almost two years ago and have been going to therapy ever since. Although I still struggle, some days are more difficult than others, I am working hard to improve my mental health each day and I finally have people to support me on my journey. 

Many people are afraid to talk to somebody about their struggles, while on the other hand, others are scared to talk about suicide. We have the power to help those in need, lift them up, and get them the help they deserve. There are so many resources at the ready at local and national levels for suicide prevention. The stigma surrounding mental illness causes people to feel ashamed for something they have no control over and drives people away from getting the assistance they need. We need to take every opportunity we have to talk openly about mental health. If you see somebody struggling, pull them aside and talk to them. Be an advocate for those struggling. Help those in need. Educate yourself. Show compassion for those struggling with these mental illnesses. Be brave enough to start the conversation to encourage those who need help to find the resources they need. If you are struggling with mental health and you are experiencing suicidal tendencies, just know, you are enough, you are important, you matter, and you are loved. Don’t be afraid to admit that you need help and begin your journey on the path to recovery.<3

Camryn Lapp

Coastal Carolina '23

Camryn Lapp came from New Jersey to Coastal Carolina University as a Hospitality, Resort, and Tourism Management major. She is currently a senior at the University. Camryn came onboard to HerCampus in the Fall of 2021 as a writer, and is now on the Executive Board as the Head of Event Planning!