Culture > News

Myrtle Beach Holds its First Pride in the Park

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Myrtle Beach kicked off October with its first-ever Pride in the Park. On October 3rd, Valor Park in Market Commons welcomed and celebrated the LGBTQ+ community and their allies. This was my first PRIDE event, so sadly I am unable to compare it to others. However, I greatly enjoyed and felt beautifully accepted in the space and community created at the festival. As a demisexual female, I have always felt like there was something wrong with me because my desires did not match up with other people. The community at PRIDE made me feel very accepting of my sexuality. It was absolutely inspiring to see so many people express who they are in a safe, yet public, environment. Everyone was socializing, relaxing, and participating at the event. It created a very harmonious feeling.

Pride in the Park had many tents set up. Some were local businesses supporting PRIDE and advertising their business, as well as giving out free stuff. Some were pop-up shops and others had information and education for festival-goers. There was also a drag queen show, which I sadly missed, but I got to talk to a few of them. They even offered for my friend and me to come to future events and gave me her contact information. There was also live music and a dance floor, hula hoops, blow-up obstacle courses, face painting, and food trucks. 

I spoke to some festival-goers about PRIDE. Sam, a 20-year-old queer woman, said that she feels more accepting of her sexuality and believes that this is a step in the right direction. She hopes that the love will continue to spread. I also had the fantastic opportunity to speak with the chair of the board of directors for PRIDE Myrtle Beach, Curtis Fox-Mixon. He said that events like Pride in the Park can make a difference.

“Visibility and awareness is everything. And the fact that we have so much support, we have so many allies, we have so many businesses that really make this possible. You know, it really starts to put that atmosphere out there, that idea that you know we’re here and we’re accepted and we are okay. Pride Myrtle Beach is also a huge advocate of that, to let everyone know that you are safe, we are your safe space, and there is so much to do, and you have so much to live for. We are just here to ensure that that mindset continues,” said Fox-Mixon.

Fox-Mixon was right about the atmosphere created. I have never felt a stronger sense of community, love, and acceptance than during my time at Pride in the Park. Anyone who is a part of the LGBTQIA+ community deserves to feel that way. If ever given the opportunity, whether you are a part of the community or just an ally, I suggest going to a Pride Festival. I hope to continue to go to more PRIDE events in the future. 

Myrtle Beach did a beautiful job with its first Pride in the Park. I hope in the future it is able to expand and draw out an even larger crowd. Since Myrtle is such a large tourist area and has many residential communities around it, they have so much opportunity to make their PRIDE events huge. They have made their first step by having the event and I look forward to what they do in the future.

Amanda Fiucci

Coastal Carolina '23

Amanda is a communication major with a concentration in interactive, multimedia journalism. She is also minoring in photography and getting a certificate in sustainability from Coastal Carolina University. She is the assistant editor of TEMPO magazine and is involved in many clubs and organizations around campus. She loves the outdoors, arts, writing, reading, and interacting with many people.