Morgan Hart: Alligator Project Leader

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

As a zookeeper at Alligator Adventure, reptiles have become a very big passion of mine. Recently I got the opportunity to speak with Morgan Hart, the Alligator Project biologist leader for South Carolina’s Department of Natural Resources. 

The Alligator Project is a statewide project in South Carolina that focuses on the management of the American Alligator population. Alligators in South Carolina can be hunted in order to keep the population size at a healthy and functional rate. The Alligator Project closely monitors these population numbers to better understand these animals and protect them when necessary. 

Back in 2020, this team started worked closely with Clemson University to track male alligator movement through wildlife management areas and public waterways. The tracking devices, which look like little top hats, helped provide the team data for the next two years.  

Morgan Hart has been the project leader for about 4 years, but her journey to this field hasn’t always been an easy one. Dedication and perseverance have allowed Hart to continue her passions in wildlife conservation. 

“My career path has been nontraditional. I began seeking my degrees in my late 20’s and finished school at 36. I always wanted to work with wildlife/nature but was scared to attempt something as difficult as a graduate degree. It took many years to learn my strengths and gain wisdom before I was able to be successful in school. Getting to work in a field devoted to wildlife conservation makes the work I have done to get here was well worth it.” 

Of course, when dealing with one of the strongest reptile species, there is never a dull moment on the job. 

“My best days are spent in the field catching large alligators for tagging studies. Sitting on the back of a thirteen-foot alligator that raises you off the ground every time it breathes is special.” 

One of the things I wanted to know from Hart is how she becomes inspired to keep doing this incredible job every day. As someone who also works in the animal field, I find it daunting to try to continue to grow. People seem to always be skeptical of women pursuing careers working with large and dangerous animals. 

“There are many incredible women out there and I am inspired by my coworkers every day. Also, it is going to sound silly, but anytime I have a bad week and need to be inspired to stand up and keep going, I watch the show Parks and Rec. As Leslie Knope said, “Now go find your team. Get to work. Whatever that work is that you find worth doing. Do it and find some people to love who’ll do it with you.” 

As we wrapped up our interview, I asked Hart what she wanted to tell those still doubting entering the conservation field. Her answer was one that I found extremely comforting. 

“Don’t let your imposter syndrome make you think you can’t do a job. Nobody really knows what they are doing in the beginning. Just start learning and you will get where you want to go eventually.” 

Check out SCDNR’s website for more information! 

https://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/herps/alligator.html

Megan Bright

Coastal Carolina '22

Megan is a senior psychology major at Coastal Carolina. She currently works as a zookeeper at Alligator Adventure in Myrtle Beach. She loves all things animals, fantasy, current events, and organization TikTok.