This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Writing this letter is bittersweet. The day I graduate is closer with each second that passes, and that means the day I say goodbye to Her Campus at Coastal Carolina is also around the corner. While I am excited for what lies ahead, I am not sure if I am ready to close this chapter.

I started working with Her Campus at Coastal Carolina in January 2020 in search of a platform that I could write for to get experience in the world of media. Today, I have over 40 published pieces on the Her Campus website, and to say that I am proud of the work I have done is an understatement. This magazine gave me the opportunity to write about topics that not only matter to me, but also matter to others. I have written about women’s issues and women’s empowerment, racial injustice, LGBTQ+ issues, and politics specifically regarding the 2020 Election. I’ve also written about my personal interests such as astrology, crystal healing, movie reviews, and so much more. Without this magazine, I would not have been able to explore my interests and refine my writing skills, so for that, I am forever grateful.

Over a year ago, I was hesitant to step foot in a Her Campus writers’ meeting out of fear that my writing was nothing in comparison to the other aspiring journalists, authors, and poets. Yet, the little voice in my head repeated Nike’s famous slogan: just do it. So I did it, and a year later, I’ve accomplished more than I could have imagined I would.

When the COVID-19 pandemic began and our chapter moved to being completely remote, I was nervous I would not be able to get the full experience in working for a magazine. Thankfully, the team at Her Campus Coastal Carolina proved me wrong. If anything, I feel closer to my peers than I did before, and now I have a solid group of people who both support me and teach me about the world. While I was able to curate a digital portfolio of both writing pieces and social media content crafted by yours truly, I was also given the opportunity to meet people who push me to be a better version of myself.

Another time I told myself to just do it was when I applied to be the Social Media Director for the chapter. I doubted myself and my application, thinking I had no experience in managing social media. And once again, my actions paid off because I got the opportunity to work on social media for an entire school year. I got to use our platform for the better by leading philanthropic campaigns including weeks dedicated to women’s empowerment, Black history, sexual assault awareness, mental health, and more. Even though the social media team used our platform to educate others, I found myself learning more about people who have different life experiences than I do. Once again, it is difficult to express my gratitude, but I am so glad I put myself out there.

My message to my fellow teammates at the Coastal Carolina chapter, and to anyone else who stumbles upon this open letter, is to set aside your fears and just go for it. Whether it be applying for graduate school or applying for your dream job, there is no harm in trying. More often than not, your efforts will pay off. I know mine did.

While my future is undetermined, — a story I have yet to write — I will take with me the experiences I had working with Her Campus, and when my fears are getting the best of me, I’ll remember to just go for it.     

Angelica Pizza

Coastal Carolina '21

Angelica is a student at Coastal Carolina University studying communication, journalism and women's and gender studies. She has a passion for writing and hopes to pursue a career as a writer or editor for a magazine.