This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Worrying about the future is something that has always held me back from living my life to the fullest. It took me a long time to realize that it’s okay to not have your future planned out. During the 2019 spring semester I was so consumed in planning and setting up expectations for my future life that were so unnecessary. I was trying to plan where I will live not only a few years from now but I was searching for somewhere I’d want to spend the rest of life in. I was looking at houses and setting expectations for myself 10 years down the line. It would stress me out and distract me from living life in the moment. I’m so thankful I began to realize how pointless that was. I now know it’s good to set goals for yourself and have ambitions but to plan in-depth will leave you close minded to certain opportunities. 

As a graduating senior I’m proud to say that I am doing NOTHING post graduation. The best part is I don’t feel the need to justify my decision. I believe that societal pressures are what set me back. I was spending too much time trying to fulfill societies expectations of a graduating senior instead of focusing on what I truly wanted to do. I thought I had to follow a predetermined path set by society to be “successful,” but success doesn’t lie in someone else’s dream or path. It was hard for me to realize I was more focused on making other people happy than making myself happy. I’m glad I was able to make that realization and turn my life around. 

The hardest part of my whole process what to unlearn all the expectations and pressures put on to me by society. One way I was able to do that was to talk to people older than me. I was able to gather advice from a bunch of older women over the summer, and one thing they all said to me was that I was so young and all I should be worrying about is living it up while I’m still young. They were so right–they were all young once and they all told me how they would be traveling at my age or just having the time of their lives. All of these women are very successful in their careers and their lives, most of them didn’t start their careers until their late 20’s, so why worry when you’re only 21! I told myself that the only path I need to follow in life is my very own and I have the power to change it whenever I want. So, I’ve decided instead of immediately entering my desired career field I am going to backpack Europe this summer with some friends. After that, who knows, but who’s worrying? :)

Emily Thorpe

Coastal Carolina '19

Hey, I'm Emily! Im a senior communication major at CCU. I grew up in the Catskill Mountains in Upstate New York. I love art, music, the outdoors and traveling. I'm so excited to be apart of Her Campus.