This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

With October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, it is important to educate women on the ways to check for and prevent the disease. While I am not a medical professional, The National Breast Cancer Foundation has provided information to allow women to check themselves at home. This can be very vital considering the fact that 40% of diagnosed breast cancers are detected by women who feel a lump. The Foundation lists three ways to perform a breast self-exam.

1. In the Shower

Using the pads of your 3 middle fingers, press your breast and armpit area with light, medium, and firm pressure. Check monthly for any thickening, lump, knot, or any other changes.

2. In Front of a Mirror

Examine both breasts with your arms by your side then again with your arms raised overhead. Look for any changes in color, swelling, dimpled skin, or any changes in your nipples. Next, rest your palms on your hips and firmly press to flex chest muscles. While your breast won’t exactly match, check from dimpling, puckering, or changes in the area.

3. Lying Down

Place a pillow under your right shoulder and put your right arm behind your head. Using your left hand, move the pads of your fingers around your right breast area and armpit. Use light, medium, and firm pressure. Squeeze your nipple to check for discharge and lumps. Repeat these steps on your left breast. 

While mammograms and screenings can detect cancer before you can feel a lump, self-exams allow you to familiarize yourself with how your breasts look and feel. The Foundation suggests that adult women of all ages perform self-exams once a month. 

Even though there is no sure way to prevent breast cancer, there are lifestyle changes that you can make to lower your risk.

1. Maintain a healthy weight

2. Be physically active

3. Limit alcohol consumption

4. Don’t smoke

5. Avoid exposure to radiation and environmental pollution

Certain risk factors like family history and genetic mutations can’t be changed, it is important to work to lower your risk and perform monthly self-exams. For more information on Breast Cancer, support programs, and ways to donate, visit The National Breast Cancer Foundation.

Christian Livingston

Coastal Carolina '24

Christian is a senior honors student majoring in Communication with a minor in Creative Writing at Coastal Carolina University. She loves reading, watching movies, and taking pictures on her Minolta X-370.