BookTok: The World of Trends and How it can Impact Your Reading Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

*Some of the TikToks linked in this piece may contain spoilers*

Greetings, dearest reader! If you’re anything like me, you choose to escape to worlds of magical lands and daring feats. Let’s face it, diving head-first into a story is vastly superior to facing the realities of your own, albeit more mundane, adventure we call life. Maybe this doesn’t apply to you, but you might have a Goodreads goal to hit. Maybe you happened across a stray ACOTAR TikTok and simply want to know who Rhysand is. Allow me to introduce you to one of your greatest resources, Booktok.

During the height of the Covid-19 pandemic in 2020, we saw the rise of the social media giant, TikTok. If you aren’t already familiar with the platform, TikTok consists of short-form video content ranging from a few seconds to three minutes long. The app initially gained traction with its dance videos and sourdough recipes in the early days. Users would practically take anything they could to help distract from the horrors of the outside world. Nowadays, you may see the latest in pet videos, scarily accurate filters, or Harry Styles fan interactions. Even though the most popular trends may come and go, one sector remains strong.

Booktok’s conception came about in April of 2020. Similar to its ‘BookTube’ and ‘Bookstagram’ predecessors, it showcases a predominantly younger audience talking about all things books. Comparatively, the BookTok hashtag has the widest reach, reaching over 48.6 billion views. Book recommendations are among the most popular types within the genre. Some creators even get creative by including ‘books they wished they could read for the first time again’ or associating their favorite books with their favorite music. Other fun trends I have come across include bookstore trips and hauls, associating candles with book characters, and annotation ideas. The beauty of BookTok is the wide variety of bookish content available at your fingertips.

Let’s delve into every reader’s irrational fear, screen adaptations. I know, I can hear the groans and eye rolls from here, but not all renditions are terrible. Typically, when a piece garners enough popularity, it catches the attention of producers and may get a deal to be transformed into a movie or television series. BookTok popularity contributes greatly to the increasing number of upcoming adaptations. In the last few years, we saw Sally Rooney’s Conversations with Friends and Normal People get picked up by Hulu, George R. R. Martin’s Fire & Blood become HBO’s hit series “House of the Dragon”, and Where the Crawdads Sing take over the box office in summer of 2022. These are not the only page-to-screen adaptations, with many more still in the works. The BookTok community has helped make the world of adaptations a more fun and safe place to explore. Whether this comes in the form of reviews, fancasts, or comparisons, there is something for everyone. 

Circling back to the recommendation side of BookTok, we have the growing popularity of certain authors and series. If you are an avid reader, then some of these names will be of no surprise to you. Some of the most popular authors include Taylor Jenkins Reid, Sarah J. Mass, and Colleen Hoover. It’s no secret that social media has greatly influenced their success. It’s very telling when the same people who made fun of kids for reading in high school are now raving about It Ends With Us. However, the BookTok community is very welcoming and primarily seeks to share their favorite stories with others. I won’t go into my opinions, because I think it’s more fun to read for yourself, and then watch the TikToks after. While not all of the most popular authors will be for you, I’m certain you’ll find at least one book that makes you smile.

Now that you know the general ins and outs of the BookTok community, you might still be wondering if it’s worth it to explore. While I myself am not a content creator, I highly recommend giving the niche a try. Many have praised the platform for helping them rediscover their love of reading. I know I turned to the BookTube community a lot when I was in middle school and found what I enjoyed. BookTok offers similar content that is specifically catered towards the changing trends and demographics of our society. Personally, I have been able to find authors I may have never tried if I hadn’t seen their books all over my “for you” page. Some of my favorites include The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, Malibu Rising, The Song of Achilles, and anything by Sarah J. Maas. Whether you find your new favorite series or just enjoy the fun content, adding bookish additions to your nightly mindless scroll is definitely worth it in my opinion. So grab your fluffiest blanket, turn on your fairy lights, brew a cup of tea, and get to reading. 

Riley Maerlender

Coastal Carolina '25

Riley is a junior at Coastal Carolina University. She loves writing for Her Campus and serving on the chapter's exec board. She also enjoys reading, crafts, and all things pop culture!