Hero Copy
Hero Copy
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media

Astrology 101: An Aquarian’s Guide to 2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

Aquarians, born between January 21 and February 19, are worldly humanitarians, despite their aloof, sometimes cold, demeanor. They think in terms of the big picture, and they use their analytical minds and curiosity to bring social change. If your zodiac sign is Aquarius, you may be strongly independent with a dislike for authority figures who try to tell you how to live your life. You like having freedom to express yourself, usually through writing or art. With Aquarius season among us, you may be interested in learning more about yourself.

Aquarius is represented by the Water Bearer, which is one of the oldest constellations to date. The Water Bearer carries a vase, overflowing and spilling onto the ground to represent a season of growth. However, Aquarius is not a water sign. It is an air sign, associated with an active flow of intellect and innovation used to change the world. Air signs are linked to communication, intellect, and balance. The symbol of the Water Bearer can also be seen in a deck of tarot cards on The Star, with one foot on the ground and the other in water. The Star is the Aquarian card, representing manifestation, hope, and faith. According to Biddy Tarot, The Star tells us “anything is possible” as long as you are being your genuine self.

In astrology, each zodiac sign corresponds to one of 12 unique houses in the birth chart, and Aquarians rule the Eleventh House. According to Elite Daily, the Eleventh House represents personal goals, community, and one’s purpose in life. Aquarians often live by the phrase, “I know,” because they are inventors and innovators searching for ways to make their dreams a reality.

This year’s Aquarius season will be an interesting one because Mercury will be in retrograde from January 30 to February 21. While your Aquarian horoscope for 2021 is defined by self-growth and reinvention, Mercury in retrograde will cause miscommunication and possibly struggles with technology. You may be hit with a few obstacles along the way, whether it be copious amounts of stress or a major heartbreak, but that doesn’t mean you should give up. Mercury’s backward orbit will give you a push to manifest greatness and success. If there’s one thing to take away from your horoscope, it is that everything will work out the way it is supposed to.

While astrology is the study of the relationship between humans and the universe, it is not a science. Instead, astrology is a belief system that attempts to answer the questions you may have about yourself and why you are who you are. You were born on a specific day, at a specific time, in a specific location, and astrology tells you why those details are significant.

Many theorists also believe the universe is moving into the Age of Aquarius, which could be the reason for 2020’s chaos. A new age begins roughly every 2,150 years, and astrologers believe we may be leaving the Age of Pisces to enter a new age of humanity, social progress, and individuality. The progressive characteristics of Aquarius will drive the upcoming change, and this change is not exclusive to Aquarians. According to astrologer Adama Sesay, the power to incite change is in our hands.

“For eons the power has rested in traditional, oppressive hierarchical structures, and their beliefs dictated our reality,” Sesay said in an interview with Well+Good. “[In the Age of Aquarius,] the power is turning over to the individual, and giving the freedom for you to choose your own reality based on what aligns with your soul.”

The Age of Aquarius is defined by its heavy reliance on technology, which will be interesting as Mercury enters retrograde and causes technological challenges. It is also defined by a sense of community, one that needs to dismantle the current, outdated systems of oppression in our society. According to astrology and tarot card reader Maria Sofia Marmanides, society is in need of a remodeling, and the Age of Aquarius is the perfect time for it.

“With such a heavy focus on Aquarius, the astrology tells us that we have work to do if we want to make a more just society,” Marmanides told Well+Good. “That work also includes reminding ourselves that progress looks different to various groups of people, and we all need to work together to make the status quo something that benefits everyone.”

The Age of Aquarius is a time for all of us to heal, whether it be through social change or individual growth. It will utilize Aquarian qualities to usher in a new era. For more information about Aquarians and the other zodiac signs, check out Astrology.com

Angelica Pizza

Coastal Carolina '21

Angelica is a student at Coastal Carolina University studying communication, journalism and women's and gender studies. She has a passion for writing and hopes to pursue a career as a writer or editor for a magazine.