This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

The holidays are really difficult for those of us with food allergies and sensitivities. Depending on what you are allergic to, you might find yourself eating just one small side dish at a holiday dinner, unable to eat the main course. Potatoes of any kind are usually safe bets for those of us with gluten intolerances – gluten free, but probably made with dairy, so that wouldn’t work for anyone lactose intolerant. Gluten is difficult to avoid when holiday meals are often full of breading, dinner rolls, and secret ingredients in some sauces that contain wheat. For people with dairy and nut allergies, everything’s a gamble. Desserts are almost always full of almonds, peanuts, pecans, walnuts…the list goes on. So, here are a few recipes for gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut-free foods to make for your food-sensitive guests (although, with COVID, I hope none of you have guests over – count this for the 2021 holiday season).

1. Gluten-free and dairy free scalloped potatoes. Potatoes are sometimes safe, but sometimes not. It’s really a gamble, but here’s a recipe for a delicious allergy-friendly side dish for your holiday season.

1. Baked cranberry chicken with rosemary. While meat is usually a safe option for those of us with sensitivities, sometimes sauces and spices can be tricky. Here’s a recipe that looks delicious and is completely allergen-free!

1. Wild rice stuffing. This recipe is easy to throw in the Crockpot, and will be a hit among your food-sensitive friends. The article makes sure to note that gluten-free stuffing is an absolute must, so be sure to pay attention to that. 

1. Mini vegan pumpkin pie cheesecakes. Need I say more? These are both gluten free and dairy free. They are not, however, tree nut free, if you have a sensitivity to those. If you make these, let me know so I can come try them. 

1. Gingerbread waffles. These look amazing, and so long as you use gluten-free flour rather than just regular, they are both gluten and dairy-free. These are the perfect Christmas morning breakfast!

Okay, these are just a few of an endless list of recipes for people with allergies and food sensitivities. There are tons of resources online, if you simply just search ‘___-free meals’. For the (2021) holiday season, when you have guests with special diets, know that there are so many options out there! With your immediate family, it’s easy to know what everyone can and can’t eat, but in the future for more extended gatherings, having a general idea and other options is a great idea for your guests. It will make their day that you took the time to think of something special to make them, rather than just hoping they will find something to eat. Happy holidays!