This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

When you ask the average person what their goals for a new semester are, they’re likely going to say something along the lines of being more productive, getting organized, or sticking to a new routine. This was my goal last semester and I finally took the steps to help get me there. As much as I didn’t want to rely on technology to keep my life together, digital resources have been the only thing that works for me. Here are four apps that helped me become a better-functioning human being. 

1. Structured

As I’ve started to switch to a digital planner, “Structured” has helped me block off tasks by the minute. This was perfect for me because I didn’t want to feel locked in by not being able to change my daily calendar, and it allowed me to plan my day by the hour. It helps me feel accomplished by checking tasks off. The only downside (for me) is that it’s only available on IOS, so while I can use it on my phone and iPad, I can’t use it on my laptop. With that being said, I would still recommend this app to anyone who’s looking for an easy-to-use, digital planner! 

1. Milanote 

I am a firm believer that “Milanote” doesn’t get enough credit! The app prides itself on being a platform to help keep you organized for creative projects but it does so much more. With over 100 templates for brainstorming sessions, creative briefs, class notes, project plans, etc., each one can be easily customized to fit your needs. The app markets itself to designers, creative directors, writers, and agencies, but I think that this app is also perfect for students. I use this app to make to-do lists, mood boards, and to take notes. This app has a free version, but it’s limited. They offer a subscription for $12 a month, but students can get 50% off by emailing the company. It’s compatible with all devices, mobile, iPad, and desktop, which makes it easy to keep everything in one place. 

1. Notion

If you’ve ever wandered over to the productivity side of TikTok then you’ve probably heard of “Notion”. If you haven’t, it’s a workspace notes app, which mostly markets itself towards businesses and working teams. This platform is a database, which made it hard for me to navigate when I first began to use it, but I ditched making my own boards and just used templates from TikTok and the app’s website. Because it is a database, though, it is easy to store information and keep all of my course information and assignments in one place. I use this to keep track of all of my coursework, draft stories, and keep a daily log for my internship. I also use it as a digital journal. On paper, this platform seems very similar to “Milanote”, but I prefer to use both because Milanote allows me to be more creative with my templates.

1. Routinery

“Routinery” is the app that I never knew I needed. It wasn’t until I noticed how much I enjoy having a slow morning that I realized that I need a solid morning routine. Based on behavioral science, this app lets you create your routine by adding all of the actions that you want to complete. It also suggests habits, like drinking water, going on a walk, or meditating in order to help you start or end your day on a positive note. It was created to help users build better habits and become more productive. I use this app to track my morning routine, but it lets you create any routine that you want. With the ability to create and change a routine, and the timing feature that keeps users on track, I recommend this app to anyone who has a hard time making or sticking to a good routine.

Christian Livingston

Coastal Carolina '24

Christian is a senior honors student majoring in Communication with a minor in Creative Writing at Coastal Carolina University. She loves reading, watching movies, and taking pictures on her Minolta X-370.