This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

The world of American politics and government is a tricky one. These shows give an exclusive look at some of the ends and outs of Washington, DC. While some may be exaggerated, they are all engaging and raise questions about the trustworthiness of politics. As summer approaches, be sure to add these 3 to your “to binge” list.

House of Cards

House of Cards follows Francis Underwood (Kevin Spacey), the House majority whip. He and his equally determined wife Claire Underwood (Robin Wright) are both on a pursuit of power within the political world.

Scandal

Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington) is a crisis manager who owns her firm. Her work focuses on fixing a variety of political “scandals” including many dealing with the president who she is secretly involved with. Pope not only must deal with the corrupt world of politics but also her own shady affair.

Madam Secretary

Like Scandal, Madam Secretary has a strong female lead. Secretary of State Elizabeth McCord (Téa Leoni) balances work and family while representing strong women in power.

Maddie attends Coastal Carolina University where she is planning on majoring in political science with a double minor in marketing and global studies. She wants to travel the world- and when shes not napping shes watching Tedtalks.
Olivia Burke

Coastal Carolina '19

Olivia Burke is a college student, freelance writer, and campus correspondent at Coastal Carolina University. She has written about everything from Valentine's Day to political candidates. When she isn't studying or working on a new article, she is either eating fresh hibachi or catching up on This Is Us on Hulu.