3 Easy and Inclusive Halloween Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Coastal Carolina chapter.

It’s finally October and that means spooky season is among us. This time of year is filled with festivals, bonfires. and parties which means lots of food and treats. If you find yourself wanting to whip up something nice for you and your friends to enjoy, the following are some easy and inclusive recipes that won’t break your bank.

1.Spider Web Crispy Rice Treats: These are super easy to make and they look amazing. Great treat to make with friends or family. It is simply just making rice crispy treats with a twist. The recipe below makes about 9-12 treats, so increase the ingredient amounts as needed. 

What you’ll need: Rice Crispy Cereal, 2 packs of jumbo marshmallows, unsalted butter, green food coloring, red food coloring, baking tray, cooking spray, and aluminum foil(optional). 

Steps:

1. Split 3 tablespoons of butter and 1 pack of marshmallows into two bowls. Microwave both for about 2-3 minutes and then stir until smooth.
  2. Add food coloring to each bowl(one color for each). 
  3. Add 3 cups of Rice Crispy cereal to each bowl and stir well.
  4. Cover your tray with aluminum foil(optional) and then spray with cooking spray. Spread both mixtures evenly onto the tray. Make sure to mix the colors around the tray. 
  5. Let it cool and set for at least an hour. 
  6. After the mixture sets, melt the other pack of marshmallows in the microwave
  7. Once melted and cool enough to handle, run the melted marshmallows between your hands until it’s stringy and spider-web-like then stretch it over the cereal mixture. 
  8. Let it set for a few minutes and then cut and decorate as desired!

2. Mummy Pretzels(Gluten and Dairy Free): If you’re looking to have a more inclusive treat, here’s a very simple but tasty recipe for those who are gluten and dairy sensitive.

What you’ll need: A bag of mini gluten free pretzels, 1 and ¼ cups of dairy free white chocolate chips separated, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, edible eye candy balls, parchment paper, a baking tray and a microwave safe bowl.  

Steps: 

1. Fit parchment paper onto the baking tray.
  2. Put 1 cup of dairy free white chocolate chips into a bowl with the tablespoon of coconut oil. Then microwave in increments of 30 seconds until melted, stirring in between. 
  3. Begin dipping the pretzels in the melted chocolate one by one and then place on the tray. 
  4. Once on the tray, put the eye balls onto the dipped pretzels. Let them set for about 10 minutes.
  5. Take the ¼ cup of dairy free white chocolate chips and repeat step 2.
  6. Let it cool slightly, then take a spoon and dip it in the chocolate.  Drizzle the chocolate with the spoon to make stripes on the pretzels. (The source has a different method using a plastic bag if you prefer that).  
  7. Let them set completely and then store in the fridge. Serve within 24 hours for best results. 

3. Pumpkin Veggie Tray:While Halloween is always associated with tons of candy and baked goods, this recipe is a great healthy alternative that’s just as festive. The best part is that it requires no baking or cooking. Simply arrange your baby carrots in a sphere shape to resemble a pumpkin. Then use the cucumber slices as the teeth. The broccoli can be placed at the top to resemble the stem of the pumpkin. Place your desired dip (hummus is a great vegan option), into 3 ceramic holders and use them as your eyes and nose. Make sure to have your hand sanitizer and gloves on standby to lower the risk of spreading Covid-19. 

What you’ll need: baby carrots, broccoli, cucumbers(in slices), and your desired dip. 

Kevlyn Lewis

Coastal Carolina '22

Kevlyn is an undergraduate student studying Communication and Spanish at Coastal Carolina University. She is passionate about writing, photography, and health & wellness. In her free time, she practices yoga, runs 5ks, and binge watches TikToks.