This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Sex Education is a show on Netflix that premiered last year and took the Netflix world by storm. It’s a show that began breaking boundaries and showing people things that have been considered ‘taboo’. Sex Education takes a traditional young adult coming age of show and completely flips the concept on its head.

House Interior Photo
John Tekeridis / Pexels
The show​’s plot follows Otis, the son of a sex therapist, as he navigates secondary school in England with his best friend Eric. Otis ends up befriending a girl named Maeve and by accident, he sort of becomes a sex therapist at his school of teenagers and begins running a clinic with Maeve. That is the main crux of the story but a lot of other elements are included.

Firstly, the representation is very diverse. Eric, Otis’ best friend, is a black gay man, who is quite flamboyant and enjoys bright colors and feminine clothing. There is also Jackson, a black man who has two mothers and suffers from anxiety. There is also a South Asian gay man named Rahim and the popular group at school is fairly diverse.

The show also showcases a significant portion of actual sexual education – some of which viewers may not already be aware of – and also the themes that come out of the show can make viewers feel more comfortable about their lives. As an example, one of the characters, Lily, attempts to pursue a sexual relationship with Otis not because she finds him attractive (she clearly says she does not) but because she believes everyone else is having sex and doesn’t want to be left out. It’s a situation that many teenagers find themselves in, the belief that ‘everyone is doing it’, so they feel a pressure to do it as well. 

Season 2, which I will not spoil, includes a lot of great representation, mostly in the form of differing sexualities. Bisexuality, pansexuality, and asexual representation is shown in season 2. There are also conversations about slut-shaming, sexual harassment, and misunderstandings of how STIs spread. 

If you have not seen Sex Education, I hope this article inspires you to watch it! It’s my new favorite show and I encourage everyone to watch it!

Hello, my name is Isabella and I am a 22-year-old senior. I'm a psychology major and women & gender studies and writing minor. I have an intense love for cats, social justice, feminism, and fandom life [name a fandom, I'm probably in it]. I'm a huge book nerd as well as a huge just, regular, nerd. You can find me sitting in my bed typing an article, procrastinating homework, or watching YouTube.