Wellness > Sex + Relationships

What Your Perfect Date Would Be Based on Your Favorite Studio Ghibli Man

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

I’m going to cut to the chase and say that there is a 90% chance you are willing to bark for Howl Pendragon if you clicked on this article. No shame girl, I would bark and “howl” for him too (lol see what I did there). However, Hayao Miyazaki, director of Studio Ghibli, has blessed us with a whole plethora of men to choose from in his universe and there is definitely a bunch to love. From childhood crushes to new flame heartthrobs, the variety of men offer a variety date options and who knows – maybe you’ll find the perfect one down below :)  

Sosuke from Ponyo

Your dream love scenario is childhood-best-friends-to-lovers. You want someone who you feel really comfortable with to let your inner-child loose to be its goofy and fun self. Even though you’ve known each other for what feels like a lifetime, you always find new experiences to bond over and create new memories on top of the existing ones.

Your Perfect Date is going to be in your hometown. Your date picks you up and takes you to the downtown area to eat at your favorite restaurant or café. Afterwards, you and your date walk downtown and get ice cream from your childhood ice cream shop and sit on a bench to eat. As the sun goes down and the fairy lights hung up on the town illuminate the trees and shops, you and your partner reminisce on the life you’ve shared together and enjoy the stunning view.

Haku from Spirited Away

This mans is so gentle and caring for Chihiro from the moment he meets her. He protects her, keeps her safe, cooks for her, and can even turn into a dragon! Bro is a whole package. You’re probably an art girlie who wants a fellow gentle soul beside you to be that solid back that you can lean on. Your dream is to run into a stranger who actually isn’t a stranger, but rather a kindred spirit you met before in another life. But now, the timing is perfect and everything falls into place as your love for each other grows and you experience new things in life together.  

Your Perfect Date is going to be on a beach by the river. You and your date put a blanket on the sand and set up a picnic with the cutest bento boxes that have things like onigiri and chocolate dipped strawberries. After eating, you both take out paints and canvases and paint to your heart’s content. As the reeds flow gently in the wind, you and your partner people-watch and enjoy the beautiful day as it is the perfect balance between a sunny spring day and a breezy afternoon.  

Tombo from Kiki’s Delivery Service

This dude is giving “boy next door” type of vibes. You probably go for nerdy guys who consider you out of their league, but you’re into that wholesome authenticity that handsome hunks rarely give. Your ideal date is going to be chaotic af, but it’s fine since you two will have a lot of fun together. 

Your Perfect Date will start with you two taking a pottery class together. It doesn’t matter whether your creations are wonky or cute, you have fun nevertheless and enjoy making something together. Afterwards, you grab a good cup of coffee or matcha and your date shows you a project they’re working on. They don’t show it in a cocky or obnoxious way, but rather they’re sharing something that they love with you. This excites you though because seeing someone be good at something makes them more attractive to you. Your date then gives you a gift before you say goodbye so even after you part ways, you’ll always think of them.

Jiro from Whisper of the Heart

You’ve definitely experienced heartbreak, loss, or you’re romanticizing it by imagining someone to go through the tough times alongside you. Either way, the love story between this man and woman in the movie is so wholesome, heartbreaking, and a hailed representation of what love should be. True love prevails in sickness and in death, and what you want is that specific love.

Now Your Perfect Date is gonna sound a bit weird. But it’ll make you feel fuzzy inside, I promise. What you want is a man who will take care of you when you’re sick. So your perfect date is gonna start with you waking up with a cold or a fever. You call or text your partner telling them you’re debating about whether or not you want to go to work or class, and they instantly tell you to stay at home and rest. They rush over with hot soup, soft bread, and medicine to help with your sickness. You feel really bad because you were planning on going on a date that day, but your partner doesn’t make you feel bad about it. They tuck you in your bed or on your couch with a soft fluffy blanket and they spoon feed you soup while dabbing your forehead with a cool hand towel. Then after making sure you take your medicine and drink your fluids, they turn on your favorite cozy movie and work from home while you snuggle next to them. As the sun dips below the horizon and everything glows in a warm light, you fall into a comforting haze of still feeling a bit sick, but also feeling deep peace because your partner is holding your hand and isn’t afraid to be close to you even though you got the germies. You fall asleep, with your stomach warm and full and your heart content. 

Ashitaka from Princess Mononoke

You’re a boss b*tch who knows what you want and you want a man who will support you 100%. He’s the type of man who will fight beside and behind you in battle, and he’s also the type of man to hold your purse and be a safe space when you’re tired of the war. 

Your Perfect Date will start by having a fire gym session together. Then after getting your reps in, you and your partner will shower and get ready in fits that make you both feel and look confident as a couple. Your partner will then take you out to a restaurant they know you like and will book a month in advance. They will pull out your chair for you, and let you order whatever you want. Then the night will be full of conversation and banter, with your partner challenging you to be better in your quests but also deeply listening to your thoughts and being supportive in your endeavors. The night will end with your partner walking you back home and giving you the most comforting hug and kiss before parting ways on this magical night.

Howl from Howl’s Moving Castle

This man is a prince, a gentleman and a bit vain, but it doesn’t take away his love for you. You want princess treatment to the fullest and this man can give it to you confidently 100%. This man looks fem but that doesn’t mean he’s a wimp and he won’t hesitate to protect you or be there for you in the best way he can. 

Your Perfect Date is going to start with him greeting you at your door in the most stunning suit. He tells you you look beautiful which feels awesome because you are wearing the most beautiful dress and you put a lot of hard work into your look. He takes you to a luxury dinner which is the perfect combination of elegant and delicious.  At the dinner though, your partner reveals that he booked a surprise getaway trip to an Airbnb cottage. He already has a suitcase ready for you and you two travel to this lovely cottage on a hill that looks over a grand field of flowers. Throughout the weekend, you and your partner take walks in nature, wade in the crystal streams by the fields, and stargaze at the open sky. You forget about the busyness of life as the peaceful environment relieves your senses and you get to spend a whole weekend with the person you love.

Abigail Lee is a Junior at Christopher Newport University. She is a Communications Major and a Writing Minor. Her hobbies include cooking, playing the ukulele and longboarding. Her favorite show is Avatar the Last Airbender and her favorite movie is the Parent Trap(the one with Lindsey Lohan :)) .