This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Disclaimer: This article covers very real and graphic topics that are crime-related. While I recommend educating yourself on these topics and these crimes, they also are incredibly graphic and often disheartening, so watching too much indeed can be traumatizing.

I, however, have lately fallen again into resorting to watching true crime tv shows. Here I’ll provide some shows and movies to watch to be educated on true crime, especially cold cases in the recent decades.

• Catching Killers on Netflix (2 Seasons)
  • Crime Scene: The Times Square Killer on Netflix
  • Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix (2 Seasons)
    • Unsolved Mysteries is very layered and covered many different types of cases. Some truly left me chilled to the bone, especially from Season One.
  • Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel on Netflix
  • Worst Roommate Ever on Netflix
  • Night Stalker: The Hunt for A Serial Killer on Netflix
    • This docuseries and The Ripper are probably the most disheartening tv shows but I find it incredibly important to be educated on the various prejudices that exist in the law.
  • The Ripper on Netflix
  • The Confession Killer on Netflix
  • The Sons of Sam: A Descent into Darkness on Netflix
    • This series is extremely captivating and really makes me think more into the impact of cults in our world.
  • Conversations with A Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes on Netflix
  • The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann on Netflix
  • Sophie: A Murder in West Cork on Netflix
  • The 1990s: The Deadliest Decade on Hulu
  • Cold Case Files on Hulu
  • True Detective on HBO
    • I know True Detective isn’t a docuseries, but it is incredibly captivating and has much relevance to many cases in American history. I recommend the first and third season, but the first is incredibly dark.
Hey all! My name is Monica and I'm currently a senior at CNU dual majoring in History and English Literature. Most likely you're going to catch me on campus stressed, binging House or Criminal Minds or hanging out with my roommates and watching horrible movies, fixing family dinners, and wasting all my money at Barnes and Noble.