Life > Academics

Tips To Survive That Commuter Life: CNU Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Commuting to school is a whole other task in itself because it requires a good bit of organization and time management, especially if you live far from campus, are pretty introverted, or maintain a job. Being a commuter definitely has its pros and cons so follow below for some tips that I’ve picked up on how to have a successful college semester as a commuter student.

TIP 1: CAR ESSENTIALS

Since classes have since been swapped back to in-person attendance, ensuring that certain essentials are packed into my car can be a real life-saver for me during the semester. A majority of these things can be found at a low cost or from what you may have lying around the house. These are:

First Aid Kit. I like to be prepared in case of emergencies and will keep a pouch stocked with bandaids, antibiotic cream, benadryl, tylenol, eyedrops, tweezers, some cough drops and most importantly, lactaid pills.

A “Me” Bag. Some days are just so busy between school and work that I have no time to drive home for a quick nap, lunch, or to freshen up. I like to keep snacks, a hair clip and brush, makeup (usually spf tinted moisturizer and eyeliner), chapstick, toothbrush, feminine pads, wet wipes, and even an extra set of clothes in my car.

Car Emergency Kit. You never know what could happen in life especially when you’re on the road so often, so it’s best to have things on hand for your car, it’s what gets you around after all! Always make sure that you have your owner’s manual, insurance, and registration in the glove compartment. I also pack in a blanket, pocket sized umbrella, good set of jumper cables, tire plug kit, tire gauge, and a car jack that doubles as a lug wrench.

Pro Tip: Keep an extra notebook, pen/pencil, and spare change.

TIP 2: INVOLVEMENT

Not living or constantly being on campus can cause you to have the feeling of being an outsider or for me, a severe case of FOMO. Engage with others around you! I love being able to see a friendly face in class or while strolling through campus, but I’m a fairly shy person. If you’re ready, try stepping a bit out of your bubble by saying “hi” to the person sitting next you or try joining clubs and organizations that you feel an interest in. Not only will you be able to establish a connection with others, but classmate friends are also great if you need notes or someone you might come to hang out with on the regular. I’m currently in a few organizations to name a few: Anime Club, Asian Student Union, Student Honor Council, Student Sustainability Commission, and we can’t forget, Her Campus CNU. I’ve met so many lovely people just through clubs alone!

TIP 3: TIME MANAGEMENT/ORGANIZATION

Time can either be your best friend or your worst enemy, especially as a commuter student. We have to take into consideration many factors and there’s definitely been a day or two when I’ve hit the snooze button one too many times. In these cases, find a routine that keeps you accountable! For reference, I am a full time student of 16 credits with a 3.0+ GPA and work a full time job, so below are a few tips and things that keep me on track to succeed at school:

Planning Ahead. Part of my nightly routine involves getting ready the next day by checking my calendar and weather app, because if you’re like me, mornings are not the vibe. Prep your clothes, bag, and lunch (if necessary) the night before. Of course, things may slip through your mind, but please don’t be hard on yourself! Take the time to establish a good sleep schedule and ensure that you’re eating and hydrating properly throughout the day. I always carry a thermal water bottle and currently, MadeGood granola bars are my favorite go-to snack in my bag.

Utilization. Part of your tuition covers the usage of school facilities and events, so take advantage of that! Go to that yoga class, attend a philosophical seminar, bring friends to movie nights, study at the Trible Library, or make use of the tutoring at the Center for Student Success. And do not forget those office hours! It can be pretty intimidating at first, but a majority of professors want to see you thrive, and building up such relationships can assist you in the future for potential research opportunities or recommendation letters. Not too long ago I was able to land an internship at the Department of Energy’s MBED office thanks to some amazing professors. We still occasionally message each other about new updates in our lives!

Productivity. Forget registering for that 8 a.m. lecture or buying that $20 planner that’ll be forgotten in two weeks. It’s already a struggle lugging books or a laptop around everyday, so the less materialistic goods, the better (your back will thank you). I tend to stray more towards digital apps and my current go-tos are the Google Keep app, Google Calendar, and using the pomodoro technique, which breaks up your work into timed intervals with short breaks in between, for my deadlines and study sessions. I also increase my productivity by planning an activity in the gaps of my schedule, usually by planning meetings or catching up on assignments. Something about being in a big well-lit library with other students working so diligently makes me feel like I need to step up my studying game.

TIP 4: PRIORITIZING YOU

Don’t forget that at the end of the day, the main priority is YOU. Set aside time to unwind, relax, and bring yourself out from the busy world around you. Similarly, make sure to spend some time with your family and friends! It’s essential to take a break from those hours of staring at a computer screen and endless research papers. And there may be times when you just cannot attend that sociology lecture. This is where all my previous tips come in handy! Take that mental health day off, but get in touch with your classmates and professor to make sure you are caught up with any important updates or notes missed.

Hopefully these tips have helped my fellow Captains realize that they’re not alone in this treacherous commuter lifestyle and that we can push through this survival/suffering together.

Tiffany's a senior studying psychology with a double minor. On campus, she's a part of Student Honor Council and the Student Sustainability Commission. In her free time, she's usually trying new food places with friends, cooking, or hitting the gym! You can check her out on Instagram @tiffy_ni