This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

“We cannot become what we want by remaining what we are”- Max Depree. College is a huge transition! It is easy to become overwhelmed and feel unmotivated. As someone who almost backed out, here are some tips and tricks I used to stay encouraged!

Treat yourself!!

Sometimes it seems as though you aren’t working hard enough or reaching your goals, and that’s okay! You should still make time to treat yourself. Not only does it take your mind off of the situation, it motivates you too! Whenever I feel stressed, I take a few minutes to breathe, and usually go to Starbucks to grab my favorite drink and either make a plan or work on something simple. However, not all college students have the funds to buy an expensive drink whenever they’re down. Another idea I find helpful is buying pre-packaged snacks. My go-to is frozen, dark chocolate covered banana pieces.

Take a break

I’ve always thought that taking a break meant that I wasn’t “giving it my all”, but that could not be further from the truth. If you overwork yourself, it is possible to do more harm than good. When I try to study, work, or even go through my day without a break, it makes me feel worse, my brain is fuzzy, and sometimes I have no energy to finish all of my tasks. Some ways to take a break are going for a walk, spend some time on your hobbies, self care, or even scrolling through TikTok.

Make a to-do list

There is nothing that makes me feel more accomplished than checking boxes off of my to-do list. Usually, I write them the day before or the morning of, when my head is clear. This way, I can figure out everything I have to do for a specific day, or even the week. If I know that I’m feeling extra unmotivated, I will also go the extra step to make a set schedule for the day. This helps to ensure that I don’t procrastinate or take too long of a break.

Take it day by day

Often times, some days just don’t go as planned- That’s normal! Tomorrow is a new day and you can always get up and try again. Similarly, if a task or an assignment feels hopeless, take it step by step. Never try to do everything at once. Remember, you are only human!

Be proud of yourself

No one else can be you. You are incredible; give yourself some credit! Ask for help when you need it, take advice, and just breathe. College are some of the best years of your life, but also some of the hardest! If you have gotten this far, don’t give up now, imagine how much the future holds for you!

Natalea (she/her) is majoring in English with a concentration in writing. As well as planning to minor in photography. Her favorite things are reading, meditation, traveling, journaling & watching new movies/tv shows.