This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

We asked our Her Campus members, here at Christopher Newport, to tell us about their favorite Halloween costume from when they were a kid. Here’s what they had to say!

Vampire

Joey felt quite stylish in his vampire cape, “I liked being a vampire because having a cape was super cool to run around in!”

Pure creativity

Abigail wasn’t one for thinking inside the box, “My favorite halloween costume wasn’t a specific character or even a thing. I literally taped long pieces of paper together and stapled them to a bucket hat and cut out two eye holes on one side of paper. I went to a trunk or treat and kept on telling everybody I was a box monster because I looked like a long white box. I knew I wasn’t anything people would recognize, but that was what made the costume fun.”

Grim Reaper

Zoe‘s always had a knack for the darker side of Halloween, “My favorite Halloween costume was when I dressed up as the Grim Reaper. It was very different than the usual costumes for a seven year old girl, but I really enjoyed it. I wanted to be scary for Halloween, and I was! I was dressed in all black, and I had a mask that I could see out of but people couldn’t see in.”

Witch

Gabby nailed a classic look, “It’s so basic, but I wanted to be a witch every single year for Halloween growing up. So each year, my witch costume would be black with a different color each year, like purple, yellow and more.”

Dinosaur

Claire has been dressing cute since the beginning, “My favorite childhood costume was this large, purple dinosaur costume I wore when I was 3. I didn’t know it was going to be my favorite costume at that point in time, but I recently went through old photo albums and saw the costume. It’s probably the cutest costume I have ever seen.”

Spooky

Chaeli is new to the celebration, “I actually didn’t celebrate Halloween as a kid! So it’s been pretty liberating getting to experiment with different costumes now. My favorite costume I did was in my sophomore year of college and i just went “spooky” with a cape and a really cool mask. Very simple but it got the job done. Very cool bonding experience for me and my friends.”

Vampire pt. 2

It’s hard for Shaden to pick just one when they’re all fabulous, “There were so many good ones! My family loves Halloween and I always went all out when I was kid. It’s so hard to pick one! I would have to say my favorite was when I was about 8 years old, I was a vampire! I loved doing the dark makeup for it and playing around with different looks. I blame that costume for my love of makeup and my “dark aesthetic” if you will haha.”

The little mermaid

Madison went all out to be her favorite mermaid, “I have always had a strong connection to Ariel from The Little Mermaid, so nothing was stopping me from dressing up like her when I was eight years old. I spray-painted all of my hair red and wore an adorable costume with a purple top and long green “tail.” Well, I loved Ariel so much that when I was 11, I needed to be her again. Of course, the costume didn’t fit anymore, so we bought a newer, more sophisticated one for my grown 11-year-old self. This year, I’ve been struggling trying to come up with what my boyfriend and I are going to dress up as. Finally, it hit me. I have to be Ariel for the third time, and I finally have my Eric!”

Halle Bailey as Ariel in the Little Mermaid
Disney

bALLERINA-WITCH-SPIDER

Brooke wasn’t about traditional or stereotypical costumes, “There were many memorable Halloween costumes that characterized my childhood, mostly due to the fact that they were homemade and customized by my mother. Any outlandish idea I had, such as Katniss Everdeen, a Guinea pig, or a literal ice cream truck, she somehow sewn together an exact replica of what I wished for. A standout unique costume I had was a “ballerina-spider-witch” in 2nd grade in which I wore leotard with a spider web lace-corset and a tutu skirt of fringe like spiderwebs.”

Cinderella

Emilie loved a good princess moment, “When I was younger my favorite Halloween costume was a dress that was interchangeable, it was the two versions of Cinderella. I just really loved that it was two costumes in one.”

ninja

Cooper enjoyed adding to the mischief of Halloween, “My favorite costume growing up would have to be a ninja. It might sound funny but I remember running around Halloween night trying to sneak up on people with my fake sword. It might not have been the most creative of costumes but it was a blast!”

Allison is a Junior at Christopher Newport University, studying Psychology and Leadership Studies. She enjoys reading, writing poetry, and listening to Alt Rock music. Find her on insta @allibryan
Joseph is a psychology major at Christopher Newport University. He has a real interest in people and plans to be a clinical psychologist. He's the treasurer of the baking club, as well as a member of one of CNU's premiere acapella groups, University Sounds! He also has a keen interest in origami, food insecurity, and stickers.
Abigail Lee is a Junior at Christopher Newport University. She is a Communications Major and a Writing Minor. Her hobbies include cooking, playing the ukulele and longboarding. Her favorite show is Avatar the Last Airbender and her favorite movie is the Parent Trap(the one with Lindsey Lohan :)) .
Zoe is a Psychology major with a Writing minor. She enjoys learning about human development, especially when it comes to child development. Zoe loves writing in her free time and creating stories. She wants to eventually be a Child Therapist/Psychologist and write on the side.
Gabby is a senior at Christopher Newport University and is double majoring in Spanish and Global Studies, with a minor in Business Administration. Some of her favorite things to do in her free time are reading, spending time at the beach, and taking photos of literally everything.
Claire is a Sophomore at Christopher Newport University. She is majoring in German and Communications and minoring in Leadership Studies. On campus, she takes part in the Campus Activities Board, the Captain's Log, HerCampus, and is a Leadership Ambassador. In her free time, she enjoys painting, reading, hanging with friends, working out, and journaling.
Marvel. Hot Sauce. Club Sports. Chaeli is a first-gen college kid looking to find her voice on campus. She is a double major in Criminology and Anthropology in the Class of '25 at Christopher Newport University. She is hoping to explore more of the criminal justice field in law school or become an then eventually become an anthropologist full time.
Hi! I am Shaden I go by she/her/hers pronouns and I am so excited to be apart of Her Campus @CNU!
Madison is a freshman at Christopher Newport University who is planning on double majoring in Political Science and Leadership. She enjoys taking pictures, social media, and advocating for human rights. Madison plans on becoming an elementary teacher upon graduating while working with non profit organizations as well. She can be found on Instagram @madi.murphyy
21 yr old Virgo writer at Christopher Newport University. Big feminist. Coffee ice cream enthusiast. Communication Major.
Junior Communications She likes to watch Criminal Minds with her roommates.
Cooper Lebor is a student at CNU, he is majoring in computer science. His life goal is to be a billionaire.