Make-Up Lifespan and Why You Shouldn’t Use It Post-Mortem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Stores like Ulta Beauty and Sephora are having great deals on all of the makeup your heart could desire this holiday season. Before you treat yourself to a pre-reward for Finals, take a look at your current makeup bag/table/vanity. Chances are some of your makeup has been used, and, if you’re like me, you cannot pinpoint the exact date you bought it. According to PopSugar, 89% of women use old makeup with the mindset of “just in case.” Her Campus at CNU has the latest scoop on the lifespan of essential makeup items as well as why you shouldn’t try to use them after they’ve passed on. 

Foundation

Lifespan: 12-18 Months

Why You Shouldn’t Use It: While the lifespan varies between oil-based (12 months) and cream foundations (18 months), the reason you shouldn’t use them once those months are up lies in the way you use it. Your application tool is critical when using foundation. If you use your hands and fingers, that offers the chance for bacteria to quickly spread and take root in your foundation. Using a brush or beauty blender can help reduce the chances of contamination and help your foundation last longer.

Powder and Blush

Lifespan: 2 Years

Why You Shouldn’t Use It:  While a majority of us usually don’t have powders or bronzers that last more than a year, and it seems these never go bad, it is important when working with powders to ensure your brushes are clean when applying them. This can help keep them more vibrant in the long run. If you notice a change in consistency or scent, your best bet is to toss it to avoid any potential issues such as breakouts. 

Eyeshadow

Lifespan: 1-2 Years

Why You Shouldn’t Use It: While the obvious reason for any makeup going on or even in your eyes (I didn’t discover my waterline until I was sixteen) is because you could end up with an eye infection. There are a few other reasons why you shouldn’t use this stuff on your eyes, though. Much like foundation, your applicator determines the chance of bacteria and contamination — using a clean brush will help preserve your eyeshadows lifespan. Another helpful tip is not to blow on the blush to clean it or lighten the pigment. This can give any germs in your mouth a one-way ticket straight to your eyes.

Eyeliner

Lifespan: Gel3 Months, Pencil: 2 Years

Why You Shouldn’t Use It: When you are not feeling your best, you may want to perk yourself up and give the illusion that you aren’t dying on the inside. This is a definite no no. While you may be able to use foundation and concealer, using things like eyeliner when sick just creates a way for germs to thrive in warm, wet bottles of gel liner (not to mention what can be transferred if you have an eye infection). The best thing to do is invest in a nice eyeliner that will give you the longest wear. Spending a little more on one trip may save you both money and trips to the doctors office. (Also, shout out to all you girls who can achieve that flawless wing, I am in awe as I dart for the Q-Tips!)

Mascara 

Lifespan: 3 Months

Why You Shouldn’t Use It:  A majority of the readers (and admittedly myself) have used mascara that is out of date. Whether you just haven’t had a chance to get a new one, don’t feel like getting a new one or even don’t have the funds (your girl used saline solution to rehydrate mine — ICK), it is important to refresh your mascara. Mascara is another makeup item that deals directly with your eyes and all their juices (cue me impaling myself with the wand every time). Over time, the bacteria can build up and bask in the dark warm bottle just waiting to cause an infection. Another tip is not to “pump” your mascara when inserting the wand back into the bottle; this allows for air pockets to jump right in and feed any bacteria.

Lipstick

Lifespan: 1 Year

Why You Shouldn’t Use It: These guys don’t go bad as fast as everything else. Obviously, if you use it every day then you won’t be waiting to replace it for a year. But, if you only wear it for super special occasions, then make sure you pay attention to the color, consistency, and smell of it. Otherwise, you can get harmful bacteria in your mouth and end up with some crazy oral disease or something — don’t be that person. 

Check out two of my favorite beauty gurus: Alissa Ashley and Mykie. I love watching their YouTube channels for the latest reviews and creative beauty ideas!  Kick those old beauty products to the curb, and happy shopping ladies!

"There is no nobler way to spend ones time than making others glad." Little Women, Louisa May Allcott