Wellness > Mental Health

Jump into Spring this Year with Daylight Saving Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

For most of us, the endless clock changes twice a year, “falling” back by one hour in early November, and “springing” forward in early March, through Daylight Saving Time. The general idea is that it allows for better use of natural daylight: by moving clocks back one hour in the fall, we are granted more daylight during the winter mornings. While moving clocks forward one hour in the spring grants us one more hour of daylight during the summer evenings. 

On a positive note, this system allows sunlight to be present for a longer amount of time during the day, which in the end can have many benefits. On the other hand, the time change in the fall gives us an extra hour of rest, which is something that has obvious benefits. 

Alternatively, daylight saving time is by no means a perfect system, as it is criticized by many people for its negative effects. For almost all of us that have to go through this, we lose an hour of sleep in the spring, and in the fall, we have to deal with losing the sun around 5pm every day. 

Every year, the dread starts when we have an extended amount of time in the sun, but lose an hour of sleep in the spring or when we gain an hour of sleep in the fall, but it starts getting darker around 5pm.

Both clock changes throughout the year present us with tradeoffs;

Pick your poison.

However, with these combined, the positives outweigh the negatives. 

What’s better: 

Only a little bit of daylight before work and driving home in the dark, or being able to enjoy the sunlight well into the evening?

Enjoying more of the daylight and having lower energy consumption (which in the end lowers your personal and financial costs), or having a higher cost by using more artificial light?

Having lower crime rates due to the longer days with more daylight that promotes safety (for joggers, children, etc.), or a higher crime rate when it gets darker sooner?

most importantly…

After you have been convinced to believe that the negatives are outweighed by positives, here are some ways to prepare for, and to take advantage of, the longer daylight hours, and maybe turn them into something that is very enjoyable and less frowned upon. 

Go to bed at the same time every night, and wake up at the same time every morning. Even if it is tempting to break from a routine, keeping your sleeping habits consistent allows your body to adjust as needed and creates a sense of order in your body.

No coffee before bed. This is for the ones who can’t live without one of the best things in the world. Yes, it tastes amazing and makes us happy. BUT, it will disrupt the consistent sleep your body needs to properly function throughout the day.

Take power naps. This will help you feel more relaxed and refreshed, as it promotes alertness, can improve your mood, and also reduces stress.

Plant a garden. One of the original reasons for daylight savings was to give farmers more time in the fields to work. Why not take that original use and plant a cool garden with all of your favorite plants.

back to the roots herb plants 22206 64 1000
Courtesy of Home Depot

Go to the beach. If you are like me, you could go to the beach at any time during the year, whether it be 20 degrees outside or close to 100 degrees. However, if you are someone that mainly likes to go to the beach when it is warm, then start the season off on the right foot with a look at the waves. What better way to relax and look forward to the warmer weather than taking advantage of the beautiful scenery?

Sunset picnic. Every sunset is unique so you never see the same one. This can be romantic, spontaneous, or even a mix of both. Who doesn’t love watching the sunset while enjoying some delicious food?

Overall, it’s important to keep in mind that daylight saving time has it pros and cons, but in the end it is what you do with your time that helps you enjoy the wonderful weather.

Gabby is a senior at Christopher Newport University and is double majoring in Spanish and Global Studies, with a minor in Business Administration. Some of her favorite things to do in her free time are reading, spending time at the beach, and taking photos of literally everything.