Life > Experiences

In a Reading Slump? Try these Tips to Get Into your Next Favorite Book

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

We all have those times when we really get sucked in to reading a book, and then sometimes it just fades away…. and then, this process repeats itself over and over again. So, as I have recently gotten out of a reading slump myself, here are some ways that helped me find myself not being able to put the book down.

Read your favorite book again

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. However, when I am in a big reading slump, rereading one of my favorite books always works to get me out of it, and allows me to rekindle those same emotions I felt when I originally read it. Let the book that sparked your love for reading spark it one more time (maybe two).

Read with a friend

This always gets me out of a reading slump, as my friend can somewhat hold me accountable to actually read the book, and I also get to look forward to having “girl talk” about our favorite parts of the book or series. 

Look at book reviews on Goodreads

Whether you’re in a reading slump or simply trying to decide if you want to read a certain book, Goodreads always finds a way to convince me to read a certain book. It could be through other readers’ comments or simply just through the book’s rating, it has never failed in helping me decide whether to read the book or not. On top of that, Goodreads lets you join groups with like-minded people and also offers reading challenges that encourage you to further your TBR (to be read) list. 

Try an audiobook

I’ve never been into using audiobooks, but recently I was reading the Twisted Series by Ana Huang, and thought why not try something new. It added an extra spark to reading, as the voices on the audiobooks were pretty close to how I imagined the characters’ voices to be. This series was already a 10/10 to begin with, and this extra spark made it all the more enjoyable.

Hopefully these tips help and you are motivated to get back into the reading mood :)

Gabby is a senior at Christopher Newport University and is double majoring in Spanish and Global Studies, with a minor in Business Administration. Some of her favorite things to do in her free time are reading, spending time at the beach, and taking photos of literally everything.